Hey, Sawtroll - Cold up there yet??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
belgian said:
Looks a fine place indeed.
just needs an internet connection, and then it will be ideal :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
welcome back, Niko.
Thank you!

You are right, but I believe that connection is high up, and far ahead.....:cry: :cry:

We usually are at the cabin most weekends (and other "red days) from april to december, and some 5 weeks each summer.:cheers: :cheers:

Lakeside53 said:
I'm willing to wager that Troll lives the farthest from the equator of anyone on AS! ....
At least, I havent noticed anyone beeing further North, but there are potensial here in Norway - I believe that there are some quite good forest close to our Russian border.

At another saw forum, I have noticed a couple of members further North (in North America), at least it lookes that way on the members map (should have had one here also).

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Troll - 3 questions for when you get up!

1) How old is a tree 20 inches across (typcially)?
2) How many days a years does the sun not rise?
3) What the heck do you all do when in 2)????

1) The birches are about 100 years, I believe, but it is hard to tell as there mostly are some core-rot involved. I have counted lesser trees that have been 100 years old though.

The firs I don't know about, as we don't have many of those in Lavangen.

2) I am not sure, as I haven't thought too much about it (it is true :) ).

After asking a bit around, the consensus seem to be around 60 days, from late november until late january.

On the flip side, we have the sun around the clock at summer.

3) Make a guess....:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Btw, i was further North earlier, close to Lakselv, Finnmark in 1979 to 1984, then I moved to Narvik, and then here in 1995.

:blob2:

SawTroll said:

After asking a bit around, the cosensus seem to be around 60 days, from late november until late january. ....

Correction; late november until mid january.

SawTroll said:
1) The birches are about 100 years, I believe, but it is hard to tell as there mostly are some core-rot involved. I have counted lesser trees that have been 100 years old though.

The firs I don't know about, as we don't have many of those in Lavangen.

After asking a bit around, the cosensus seem to be around 60 days, from late november until late january.

Didn't you mean 20 centimeters? You wrote 20", and I think others assumed you meant inches---weird, because everything else in your posts is metric. It makes a big difference---and it makes more sense that trees near the arctic circle are more like 8 inches (20 cm). A forest-grown 20 inch birch (51 cm) would be about right at 100 years old...in upstate New York.

I meant 20 inches, and I still do. :D

Remember that I said at the stump, not DBH, and they are not very common, but there are some (not at Bardufoss, but in Lavangen).
One that our cabin neigbour cut down a few years ago was in the 32-36 inch area, but that one was unique, and devided into tree about at DBH height.....:rockn: :rockn:

darn it sawtroll, you beat me... im living in oulu, at 65 degrees northern :D ...

oh well, its cold enough here, last winters top temp around here was mere -33c, how bout there?

blis said:
darn it sawtroll, you beat me... im living in oulu, at 65 degrees northern :D ...

oh well, its cold enough here, last winters top temp around here was mere -33c, how bout there?
:laugh: :laugh: :rockn:

It is seldom -33 celsius here, but it happens.

.....quite often between -20 and -30 in winter though.

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
After asking a bit around, the cosensus seem to be around 60 days, from late november until late january.

I'd guess that you all sit around eating lutefisk and quenching it's delicate and exquisite taste with gallons and gallons of beer....:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll eat most thing, but I'm not hungry enough for lutefisk...

Was I close??

Lakeside53 said:
I'd guess that you all sit around eating lutefisk and quenching it's delicate and exquisite taste with gallons and gallons of beer....:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll eat most thing, but I'm not hungry enough for lutefisk...

Was I close??

I'm with you on this one Andy...Lutefisk Yuck.........

warmer gulf stream

I saw a report about a month ago on how much warmer England had been over the past 15 or so years. Gardens were doing very well and so forth.

Have you noticed any changes?

Do the Swedes at the same Latitudes enjoy similar weather to yours?

Lakeside53 said:
I'd guess that you all sit around eating lutefisk and quenching it's delicate and exquisite taste with gallons and gallons of beer .... Was I close??
Well, not quite about the lutefisk - we seldom has that, as my wife (who was born in Lavangen) doesn't like it much - not a big loss, I prefer ribbe and pinnekjøtt anyway....;)

Actually, the darkness doesn't have a very large impact on normal life, except more time is spent indoors and none in the woods:cry: :cry: ...

Last edited:
smokechase II said:
I saw a report about a month ago on how much warmer England had been over the past 15 or so years. Gardens were doing very well and so forth.

Have you noticed any changes?

Do the Swedes at the same Latitudes enjoy similar weather to yours?
Yes, it has become generally warmer - and earlier springs, later autumns....

There is a white cover on the ground today, but I am sure it will disappear pretty soon.....;)

I am not sure about the Swedes, except that the closest parts of Sweden (inland) have much the same weather (they are not far away).

SawTroll said:
Well, not quite about the lutefisk - we seldom has that, as my wife (who was born in Lavangen) doesn't like it much - not a big loss, I prefer ribbe and pinnekjøtt anyway....;)

Actually, the darkness doesn't have a very large impact on normal life, except more time is spent indoors and none in the woods:cry: :cry: ...

That sure sounds better than lutefisk!

Ribbe is Pork rib roast with cloves.

pinnekjøtt is rib of lamb, which has been either salted and dried or salted, smoked and dried.

We have a Norwegian / Swedish (they can tell the difference..) population in our area. The standing joke is that they are always driving 20mph slower than the rest of the traffic, and have one turn indicator light blinking at all times.. The are easily spotted by 1) the 1980's Volvo, or 2) the national flag on the bumper (a warning to others) :)

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
That sure sounds better than lutefisk!

Ribbe is Pork rib roast with cloves.

pinnekjøtt is rib of lamb, which has been either salted and dried or salted, smoked and dried.

We have a Norwegian / Swedish (they can tell the difference..) population in our area. The standing joke is that they are always driving 20mph slower than the rest of the traffic, and have one turn indicator light blinking at all times.. The are easily spotted by 1) the 1980's Volvo, or 2) the national flag on the bumper (a warning to others)

Thanks Andy ...I could eat that ...That sound's just like sawtroll driving...LOL

Latest posts

Back