Hey Stihltech......Hey Anyone!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm, just what are your concerns about Stihl saws? I'm a service tech at a Stihl dealer, I may be of some help?

Justin

Justin, Rich is a certified chainsaw nut, he's looking for insight on the future. Many here feel the 361 is an improvement on the 036, Rich wants to know if this is a trend. Will there be a 461, 661 etc.?

BTW Welcome to the forum.

.....and how about a 261? The filter alone on my 260 is nearly enough to drive me towards a 346XP.........sight unseen.

I'd like to see stihl start meshing technology from their different products into eachother. For example...

-The FS130 line trimmer/brush cutter uses a 1.7hp 4-mix engine; a 4-cycle engine that runs on conventional mixed gas and produces much better torque yields than a typical 2-cycle. An engine of this power would be perfect for an MS170/MS190T sized saw. The new BR 500 backpack blowers uses a 3hp 4-mix engine, and the BR 550 & 600 uses a 4hp 4-mix engine. An engine of this size saw would be right at home in a MS260 Pro/MS360 Pro respectively. So we'd have a torquier engine that uses less fuel....

-Also, the new TS700 cut-off saw uses a new air filtration system that route's charge air through a manifold that removes dirt particles from the charge air before it ever enters the filter, suposedly extending air filter usage by twice as much. This too would be great on a chainsaw.

-Also, where's the Arctic and Quickstop features on the other saws? I can imagine tem selling more saws if these features wound up on more saws...

Justin

sedanman said:
Justin, Rich is a certified chainsaw nut, he's looking for insight on the future. Many here feel the 361 is an improvement on the 036, Rich wants to know if this is a trend. Will there be a 461, 661 etc.?

As usual Paul is right. Stihl can't last on their current lineup ( minus the 361 ) for the EPA suits.

I think that spring AV mounts and newer port technology would be their next move.

As usual Paul is right. Stihl can't last on their current lineup ( minus the 361 ) for the EPA suits.

Which is why the 4-Mix engines are getting worked into their string trimmers and back-pack blowers. We had a landscape company buy 3 of the FS 110's and Stihl actually asked them to run all three at a 100:1 fuel-oil ratio for a month and report back to them a month later. They haven't quit running yet. Half as much oil burned has to help on emissions...

Justin

Also as RustyB complained about his air filters. They really could stand to unify their carbeurator and air filter configurations too. Why one saw has the choke built into the air filter, and the next has it's choke built into the carb makes no sense to me. Leave the choke in the carbuerator where it belongs; a chainsaw's airfilter shouldn't cost $18!

Justin

Justin, Did you know that a 4-mix will last a long time with every other tank full being straight gas? It's true. And there are plenty of us on here that are small engine techs and beyond.

I'm told the BR600 blower is a competitor for, and actually stronger than the Redmax EB8000, which I'm, told is THE most powerful blower on the market.

I'm liking these 4mix engines more and more now that I'm hearing how well they're doing and what the torque is from them. Imagine a 4mix model of the 088. that would be WICKED cool.

I've not used either the Redmax nor the Stihl 4-mix blowers yet, but I have used the Shindiawa EB630's. I like my stihl's but Shindaiwa got that one down. If it doesn't start on the 3rd pull, it's out of gas, and it's got enough power to knock you down! (Ok well not really, but you know what I mean ;) ) I know tanaka makes a fierce blower too, but tanaka's are few and far between around here.

Justin

I vastly prefer the EB8000 for the heavy crap. it'll clean ANYTHING off easily, just stand in one spot, hit full throttle, and let hell break loose.

Back