Hey Zogger...small wood haul pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know Zogger frequently talks about burning the small stuff. And lot's of us like to grab the small wood that others leave behind, but look at all this wood. Background here is that me and another guy both know the landowner where some trees blew down. I'm always way ahead on wood, and the other guy was way behind, so I deferred to him to go in and take what he wants. He took all of the big wood and left tons of this pole wood laying on the ground. Seemed like easy pickin's to me so I figure I'll grab some. Pic only shows about a third of what's there.

hz7FVVx.jpg

When I do this size wood I like to just cut it to bed length to bring it home. Much easier to load and unload IMO. A whole truckload of wood and NO splitting needed.

FwVkgsX.jpg

Last edited:
I know Zogger frequently talks about burning the small stuff. And lot's of us like to grab the small wood that others leave behind, but look at all this wood. Background here is that me and another guy both know the landowner where some trees blew down. I'm always way ahead on wood, and the other guy was way behind, so I deferred to him to go in and take what he wants. He took all of the big wood and left tons of this pole wood laying on the ground. Seemed like easy pickin's to me so I figure I'll grab some. Pic only shows about a third of what's there.

hz7FVVx.jpg

When I do this size wood I like to just cut it to bed length to bring it home. Much easier to load and unload IMO. A whole truckload of wood and NO splitting needed.

FwVkgsX.jpg
White Oak?? Great score!!

Looking good man! People ignore the easy stuff and struggle with the giant stuff. Me, I like it all. I am now for this winter burning all the smaller stuff I cut with my oregon battery saw two years ago, tons of smaller stuff, mixed everything. Hardly split any of it, just stacked it up, extra year to season from the larger rounds, but..ready to rock now! If it fits in the stove as a round, I usually don't mess with it, only bust up whoppers.

Hauled some big rounds yesterday, added them to my growing pure oak stack to be split this winter. A lot of smaller stuff on the left here won't need splitting, but heading towards the middle and the right, it obviously will, heh. I think that pile will put me into..man, don't know, 2018 maybe....

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...0/?temp_hash=a24e8354432025c5931fbd5536d9f120

Attachments

• IMG_20131114_124314.jpg
    IMG_20131114_124314.jpg
    925.3 KB · Views: 78
Looking good man! People ignore the easy stuff and struggle with the giant stuff. Me, I like it all. I am now for this winter burning all the smaller stuff I cut with my oregon battery saw two years ago, tons of smaller stuff, mixed everything. Hardly split any of it, just stacked it up, extra year to season from the larger rounds, but..ready to rock now! If it fits in the stove as a round, I usually don't mess with it, only bust up whoppers.

Funny how the smaller wood has some kind of stigma attached to it. If it's a log it's firewood, but if it's a branch or a limb it's not??? And in the buy/sell world, people don't want to see any small stuff in a load of wood when they're paying for it. So, this stuff commonly gets left behind. Granted, there's not any "overnight" sized pieces in my truck, but on the whole there's less work in that load of wood than a typical load of rounds.

I see nothing wrong with taking limbs that are in that size...and like you said there is no splitting required. Just curious why you don't want to go ahead and section off to firewood size while you are out there running the saws. Then you can just stack when you get home and don't have to cut down to size again.

It is harder to carry out of the woods in smaller pieces. Cut in about 6 foot lenthgs and you can grab 3-5 pole lengths at once. You can't carry that many small pieces. I do it because it takes less time for a single man crew to cut on my "landing".

Gotcha. I guess if there is more wood waiting that you plan to cut when you get back to your place, that makes it quicker to grab the 6' lengths and get out of there. But if it were just a few limbs mixed in like that, I always just cut on spot when sectioning off the larger rounds.

The perfect job for my friend 'JAWS'.
P1010066.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
No pic, and no clue??? Different protocol for images? Sorry!
a>

Last edited:
It is harder to carry out of the woods in smaller pieces. Cut in about 6 foot lenthgs and you can grab 3-5 pole lengths at once. You can't carry that many small pieces. I do it because it takes less time for a single man crew to cut on my "landing".

Same here. The annoying part of cutting in the field is unloading all those small pieces once you are home. Bend over, pick up one or two pieces toss off truck, climb down, bend over pick up the same pieces again to stack it. Oh, my back!! If it is only a branch or two I will section in the field. I have about a 1/2 cord stack of black locust limbs to cut up using my jig:

sawbuck1.jpg

Harry K

Funny how the smaller wood has some kind of stigma attached to it. If it's a log it's firewood, but if it's a branch or a limb it's not??? And in the buy/sell world, people don't want to see any small stuff in a load of wood when they're paying for it. So, this stuff commonly gets left behind. Granted, there's not any "overnight" sized pieces in my truck, but on the whole there's less work in that load of wood than a typical load of rounds.

You get a lot when you milk a tree out and take the small stuff with the load. and yep, easy and fast to handle. Here is my this year's stack I am burning from now, almost all small stuff. Also burning big uglies and some pine heaped up elsewhere, but this is the main stash for this season.

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...8/?temp_hash=c3dff6171511259c9b5d032b7f535781

Attachments

• IMG_20131114_134834.jpg
    IMG_20131114_134834.jpg
    963.4 KB · Views: 67
I see nothing wrong with taking limbs that are in that size...and like you said there is no splitting required. Just curious why you don't want to go ahead and section off to firewood size while you are out there running the saws. Then you can just stack when you get home and don't have to cut down to size again.

Like Reddo and Turnkey said, it's way easier to handle that wood just cutting it to bed length to haul it out. Both loading and unloading. Each 8' stick yields about a half dozen 16" stove length pieces. So, a couple dozen sticks gives almost 150 pieces. Much easier to handle a couple dozen bolts than 150 pieces of wood. If mixing pole wood with larger rounds, I'll normally cut everything to stove size, but when just doing pole wood it's best to cut it to 8ft bolts, haul it out and then cut and stack at home.

Like Reddo and Turnkey said, it's way easier to handle that wood just cutting it to bed length to haul it out. Both loading and unloading. Each 8' stick yields about a half dozen 16" stove length pieces. So, a couple dozen sticks gives almost 150 pieces. Much easier to handle a couple dozen bolts than 150 pieces of wood. If mixing pole wood with larger rounds, I'll normally cut everything to stove size, but when just doing pole wood it's best to cut it to 8ft bolts, haul it out and then cut and stack at home.

When bucking a good sized tree, the limbs and small stems get tossed on a pile and some added to the top of each load. Time the tree is done, so is all the small stuff which is waiting back home to be cut up.

Harry K

Ditto about hauling out the long sticks- greatly simplifies material handling. Turnkey: get a hookaroon and save your back big time.
My little stove takes 8" sticks, so the shortest I cut to in the woods is 16". Split at home except to make biggies loadable. Some amigos get 16-inchers delivered for them to waste in their fireplaces.
For the long poles and the 16-inchers to go into my stove, a bandsaw buzzes them quickly & safely, with almost zero waste, to 8". I'd have to be nuts to do that with a chainsaw.

I keep most of the small stuff, adds up real quick and a few of those small bits on coals or just starting a fire and you have insta fire.
I bet when you think about it it's less work on the small stuff than the big stuff.
Cut and stack Vs cut move big rounds and few times split and stack.

I do lots of the small stuff. As you said less splitting. And it works great for shoulder season

Back