Hickory pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camojeep

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
some of the hickory i been milling. On vacation next week gona tackle a couple 36" red oaks

nailed to the wall finishing a couple bedrooms in the basement gona go back in 6 months and battin the cracks with something else i'll get more pics next week when i tackle the red oaks

camojeep said:
nailed to the wall finishing a couple bedrooms in the basement gona go back in 6 months and battin the cracks with something else i'll get more pics next week when i tackle the red oaks

camojeep, Nice

I don't know, dose battin mean, putting small strips over the
outside of the boards to cover the cracks between them?

Gary

yes strips over the cracks after they dry it is definetly hard stuff but all we got is hardwwod on the farm mostly oak

Thanks my grandpa laughed at me when i told him i was going to cut that hickory into lumber with a chainsaw

camojeep said:
yes strips over the cracks after they dry it is definetly hard stuff but all we got is hardwwod on the farm mostly oak

Thanks,
OK, I'M not trying to change or rob your thread. But you may know
almost all of the old barns and out buildings around here are oak.
made just like you are doing your walls. I think all of the lumber
was cut off the farms that they are built on, When I was a kid there
was small saw mills every where (played with allot of them) Do you
think they cut the lumber and used it before it dried?
Dads barn is a big barn (for around here 30'x60' with a big hay loft)
Thats a lot of lumber to dry. Dad does'nt know they were built before
he was born (1938) it was something he never thought about.
I had'nt either, until this CSM

Thanks, Gary

yes i think they cut it green and used it our old barn has 1-2 inch cracks between the boards were it dryed

camojeep said:
yes i think they cut it green and used it our old barn has 1-2 inch cracks between the boards were it dryed

All of these have the battin over the cracks, with about 1/2 inch cracks
I sure wish I had this interest years ago before allot of the old timers had past on :(

Gary

Good looking wood Camo. I was reading an article somewhere on the web regarding framing with green lumber and so on, It said that the strips could be added right away just be sure to nail them through the spacing between the wider boards. Looks like its gonna make a nice looking wall. Good luck.

it blowed over 3-4 months ago and has been laying down so its not totally green but im sure its still pretty wet the oaks i'm planning to mill have been blowed over for a couple of years so i dont now how wet thell be i would think they would have dryed somewhat

camojeep said:
it blowed over 3-4 months ago and has been laying down so its not totally green but im sure its still pretty wet the oaks i'm planning to mill have been blowed over for a couple of years so i dont now how wet thell be i would think they would have dryed somewhat

camojeep, from what little milling I have done, they will be wet.
I done some red oak 26" dia had been dead for years, but was off
the ground it was wet. But from cutting and burning fire wood
I think red oak is wetter than white or post oak. also done some
white oak been dead 3 years but still standing about the same dia
and it was still wet. I guess if it takes a year per inch (1/2 pre side)
to dry a 24" dia tree would take 12 years to dry but it's also
out in the weather, and I would say the bark on would make a
difference also.

Gary

interesting lumber... love the wild grain in some of the boards shown. I also read that you can use it green if you nail the batton BETWEEN the boards, so when they dry and shrink, they don't take the batton with them.

Latest posts

Back