high cables

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The industry standard for height of cables is 2/3 distance from branch union to tips. I will usually go even higher, as high can be done, without going to extraordinary climbing efforts. The worse the structure of the tree, the higher the cable goes.

I have seen that most of my peers usually cable below the 2/3 level, sometimes much lower. One issue could be that is is difficult to judge exactly where the 2/3 level is. However, I think that most put their cables in low because it is just easier climbing to go lower, or that is only as high as their bucket reaches. Or perhaps they mistakenly think that the cables need to be in big wood to hold.

I heard a talk by Bruce Fraederick of Bartlett resaerch labs that J lags are acceptable in wood up to 10" diameter. The old standard was 8". Does anyone know when the standard changed? Around here, almost every cable I put in is in wood under 10". It is only where cables are put in low that the wood diameter exceeds 10", on all but the biggest trees.

I cabled a 85-90' ash yesterday. The wood on one side was 6" and the wood on the other was probably 8-9". I was over 2/3 the distance but not by much. I'll see about posting a photo.

Think about it... On a 100' tree, with co-dominant stems at 25', the height of the cable should be 75' to make the 2/3 ditance standard... There is no way the wood at 75' is going to be over 10".... The smaller the tree, the smaller the diameter of wood at standard height. SO the VAST MAJORITY of cabling jobs, if done properly will be in wood under 10", and therefore can be done with J lags....

So I question the need for through bolts.... And I think that vast majority of cable failures with J lags are due to improper instalation... either too low, or lag not set in line with cable .... or both. This is due to improper training and lack of climbing skills.

It is often difficult to make the swing at 2/3 the height, especially on wide trees. The TIP needs to be way up there, and even then it can be difficult. I recently bought a sidekick which is very useful for grabbing a line set in the opposite lead, for those of us that don't use a pole saw in the tree very often. It is a small and light telescoping pole with a small hook on the end.

I recommend it highly even though it doesn't see everyday use. Having this tool can make installing cables at the proper height a lot easier, and thus may save a few trees along the way.

J lags?

Quote by Murphy
So I question the need for through bolts.... And I think that vast majority of cable failures with J lags are due to improper instalation... either too low, or lag not set in line with cable .... or both. This is due to improper training and lack of climbing skills.

While I appreciate your post on cabling in general, I'll reluctantly take issue with the use of J lags being used as part of a high quality system.

I have done an alot of cabling in my 33 years, much of it due to J lag failure as a result of the jack hammer effect in high winds pulling the lags out before they become engulfed in new wood.

I have never had a through bolt failure in 33 years at this.

One of the most difficult aspects of cabling is to get the bolts and cable at precisely the same angle and I doubt it will ever be possible to do in a very precise sense without some type of new laser guided drill motor.

And in my opinion any co-dominant stems at risk of failure should be rodded and then backed up with a properly placed cable with through bolts ( drop forged galvinised eyebolts ).

Good post on a good topic.

Respectfully,

jomoco

Having never cabled a tree but looked at a big ash and a big beech that could probably benefit from bracing I have to ask. Are non-invasive bracing technologies like Cobra a bad idea for big tree applications?

From my inexperienced perspective, it seems better to avoid wounding the tree. Could you guys elaborate on that?

When to cable

Having never cabled a tree but looked at a big ash and a big beech that could probably benefit from bracing I have to ask. Are non-invasive bracing technologies like Cobra a bad idea for big tree applications?

From my inexperienced perspective, it seems better to avoid wounding the tree. Could you guys elaborate on that?

Good question,

As a general rule cabling and bracing should only be used to support or compensate for an identified fault in a tree's structure, be it above ground or below.

Once the cable or brace is installed the tree will be depending on it lasting the life of the tree because the normal build up of compression and tension wood is replaced by the system installed.

I have no direct experience in using the Cobra system, but would be very hesitant in using it in big wood applications until more long term data on it's reliability is available. However I am intrigued by the basic logic behind it's use of limited stretch to help compliment natural compression/tension wood growth, though I have serious doubts about any circumferential attachment method's viability in long term high pressure applications.

I have often thought that an inline compression spring on the cable itself might be useful in preventing the jack hammer effect that tears apart so many cabling systems in high winds.

There is no doubt in my mind that cabling and bracing is a field of arboriculture that will see great improvements and innovations in the coming years, and it is to the degree that they compliment and enhance the tree's natural support mechanisms, that will determine their success in my opinion.

An excellent example of this is Danny Simpson's work with Morton Bay Figs at the San Diego Zoo, he uses perforated PVC pipe filled with peat moss in combination with a drip system placed below very long lateral branches to enhance the ability of arial feeder roots to reach the ground and form the natural support pillars common in certain species of ficus trees, and it works great.

jomoco

Quote by Murphy

While I appreciate your post on cabling in general, I'll reluctantly take issue with the use of J lags being used as part of a high quality system.

I have done an alot of cabling in my 33 years, much of it due to J lag failure as a result of the jack hammer effect in high winds pulling the lags out before they become engulfed in new wood.

I have never had a through bolt failure in 33 years at this.

One of the most difficult aspects of cabling is to get the bolts and cable at precisely the same angle and I doubt it will ever be possible to do in a very precise sense without some type of new laser guided drill motor.

And in my opinion any co-dominant stems at risk of failure should be rodded and then backed up with a properly placed cable with through bolts ( drop forged galvinised eyebolts ).

Good post on a good topic.

Respectfully,

jomoco

Never had a j lag fail in 37 years of prob installing maybe 30 a year. If properly installed w sufficient sized lags, thimbles and cable dia., hole drilled 1/16 smaller than the lag and set 2/3rds above crotch to be protected or better the lag won t fail, the cable won t fail and the bolt won t pull out. Maybe a bolt thru if some decay is suspected and you have to drill in that area. Deeper the hole (thru bolts w washers and nuts) the greater propensity for decay as researched by Shigo. As for screw rod in the codom area, I ve only seen it done and done it myself when there has already been seperation and the leads are drawn back and cabled 1st. Also I was told the useful life expectency of galvanized cable is approx 10 years by a manufacturer although I don t remember who.

I've put quite a few cables in and most are still there. I've never had a j lag fail, except while I was installing a swing. My failures have been using cable of too small diameter. I too believe most cables are installed too low.

I've never seen a properly installed J-lag pull out.
I've seen a limb break at or near the point it was installed, I've seen them straighten out and release the cable, but I never saw one pull out of the wood.
I too, see mostly small wood where the cables go. Sometimes so small the J-lag goes clean through the limb. If you're into 10" wood, there's something odd going on.

I think that properly installed J-lags are ok. I've seen trees with tops broken off ABOVE cables while working in Ottawa during Icestorm of '98. I have to addmitt that I've also seen a lot of failed cable systems with J-lags pulled out, most of them seemed to be installed to low. Personally I use thru bolts only and sleep well.

I think that thru bolts have been adopted in response to improperly installed cables. Use a thru bolt... then it doesn't matter if the cable is high enough or if the hole is drilled straight... That attitude is in response to the fact that industry standards were not followed by a large portion, maybe even a majority of professionals.

The industry standard for height of cables is 2/3 distance from branch union to tips. I will usually go even higher, as high can be done, without going to extraordinary climbing efforts. The worse the structure of the tree, the higher the cable goes.

I have seen that most of my peers usually cable below the 2/3 level, sometimes much lower. One issue could be that is is difficult to judge exactly where the 2/3 level is. However, I think that most put their cables in low because it is just easier climbing to go lower, or that is only as high as their bucket reaches. Or perhaps they mistakenly think that the cables need to be in big wood to hold.

I heard a talk by Bruce Fraederick of Bartlett resaerch labs that J lags are acceptable in wood up to 10" diameter. The old standard was 8". Does anyone know when the standard changed? Around here, almost every cable I put in is in wood under 10". It is only where cables are put in low that the wood diameter exceeds 10", on all but the biggest trees.

I cabled a 85-90' ash yesterday. The wood on one side was 6" and the wood on the other was probably 8-9". I was over 2/3 the distance but not by much. I'll see about posting a photo.

Think about it... On a 100' tree, with co-dominant stems at 25', the height of the cable should be 75' to make the 2/3 ditance standard... There is no way the wood at 75' is going to be over 10".... The smaller the tree, the smaller the diameter of wood at standard height. SO the VAST MAJORITY of cabling jobs, if done properly will be in wood under 10", and therefore can be done with J lags....

It is often difficult to make the swing at 2/3 the height, especially on wide trees. The TIP needs to be way up there, and even then it can be difficult. I recently bought a sidekick which is very useful for grabbing a line set in the opposite lead, for those of us that don't use a pole saw in the tree very often. It is a small and light telescoping pole with a small hook on the end.

I recommend it highly even though it doesn't see everyday use. Having this tool can make installing cables at the proper height a lot easier, and thus may save a few trees along the way.

I don t know how old you are Murph but if you think it is difficult bcs there is not a lot of high crotch for a 2/3rds cable man us old schools got 15 or more years of putting cables in with hand braces, not reversable gas powered drills. Also just wanted to point out the obvious that 2 man cabling jobs are much more enjoyable and correct the problem of lack of swing.

One time a j bolt broke right off as I was twisting it to tighten it. It happened to be pointing straight down as I was installing a swing. I left it there and put another in six inches or so away. It seemed like a bad batch.

All my lags were 1/2. They were/are proffesional grade from an arborist supply. I have seen some straighten out like Mike Maas says, but not any that I installed. It just seemed like the molecular structure changed for a couple of years, like to a cheaper metal.

I think that thru bolts have been adopted in response to improperly installed cables. Use a thru bolt... then it doesn't matter if the cable is high enough or if the hole is drilled straight... That attitude is in response to the fact that industry standards were not followed by a large portion, maybe even a majority of professionals.

I started cabling in mid 80's in Poland. We followed standards set by Germans back then. It was straight forward : thru bolts only, 2/3 from union to the top. Bolts precisely lined up with a cable. Old habits die hard.

A little off topic but so are some others. Was curious if anyone had ever run across a jig or carrier that would attach to j lag and tanaka (Stihl) drill and drive the j lag into the hole if properly cleaned out. I verticle mulch w my tanaka so I am sure it has the torque. I think it would sell real big.

Latest posts

Back