High Climbing Photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoesTreeService

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I would love to see some photos from jobs where you have climbed high. The two I have on here are from 94'. I drop a disposable camera in a small bag that I have loops of webbing in. I was taking a limb from the top of an Oak that was blocking a clients satelite dish. I had 12' of my 200' rope on the ground and my rigging was right at the friction saver. I know alot of you have much higher climbing but around here there arent that many trees higher than 100'

The first picture posted is of the tops of nearby trees and the second is just a shot down to the ground. Cant wait to see some of your photos, especially you guys out west in the tall stuff.

Terry Boes
Owner, Boes Tree Service
Fort Wayne, IN

Nice view. The redwoods around her get pretty tall, my buddy that climbs for me has been up there pretty high. I am just know starting to bring my camera along for the tree work. Wish I would have thought about it before. I almost always have it when pig hunting with my dogs. But I have missed out on alot of god pics. My last job this last sat, I tok out a 50 to 60 foot oak about 5 feet away from my buddies house, just before I started cutting, I thought you know I should get the video cam, so I did, and put it on a piece of plywod on their clothesline, and got the whole take down on video handsfree, it was pretty col.

Here's a Dead redwood wreck from Rio Nido, it's close to hopland,ca. I used a 150' rope and tied into a different tree. Figure I took the top at 75' then worked the wood down with 5/8 and a "porty". Me and a ropeman 5 hours.
D

big eucs

hello. I know that most of you guys/even some galls have the balls to climb high but just don;t have the trees. I have a friend who has done a 300 foot eucalyptus removal outside of Santa Cruz, CA. He has old pictures of the removal (mid 90's) and as soon as us treehuggers can figure out how to get those old pics onto the computer we will show all. I myself have done some white firs in the CA sierras that have been in the 180ft-200ft range, and currently I am working on 2 200ft eucs. Assuming I survive (knock on wood) I will display those pictures in the next few weeks. I was hoping to have seen some bigger trees in this thread, hopefully I can help with that.

:blob5:

SCTreeCare said:
hello. I know that most of you guys/even some galls have the balls to climb high but just don;t have the trees. I have a friend who has done a 300 foot eucalyptus removal outside of Santa Cruz, CA. He has old pictures of the removal (mid 90's) and as soon as us treehuggers can figure out how to get those old pics onto the computer we will show all. I myself have done some white firs in the CA sierras that have been in the 180ft-200ft range, and currently I am working on 2 200ft eucs. Assuming I survive (knock on wood) I will display those pictures in the next few weeks. I was hoping to have seen some bigger trees in this thread, hopefully I can help with that.

:blob5:

check out my big tree thread! i want to go down to your state and climb a Euc. I always look at that picture of Beranek climbing that gargantuan one on the cover of Fundamentals of General Tree Work and think how nice it looks to climb. But i have heard they can be deceptively weak like cottonwood. Anyway, im really interested in seeing those pictures as soon as you can get them up!

I'll post some pictures of my highest climb so far. I'm new to this site and I'm wondering what size is best to post the pictures at?

Wow, when I look in American Forest's Magazine National Register of Big Trees Edition from 2004, the tallest Eucs it shows (either Eucalyptus globulus or Eucalyptus camaldulensis) are 112'-141'. Granted, the trees in this book are measured by more than JUST height, but you say you know of Eucs that are more than double what's reported in that Register?

Let's see some pics of these bad boys! I gotta pack up my bags to climb some trees!

love
nick

NickfromWI said:
Wow, when I look in American Forest's Magazine National Register of Big Trees Edition from 2004, the tallest Eucs it shows (either Eucalyptus globulus or Eucalyptus camaldulensis) are 112'-141'. Granted, the trees in this book are measured by more than JUST height, but you say you know of Eucs that are more than double what's reported in that Register?

Let's see some pics of these bad boys! I gotta pack up my bags to climb some trees!

love
nick
'
are you sure you were checking the right euc species? there are several that are on the smaller side, but the biggest is over 141 feet. California's register has about 17 different euc trees with the tallest at 178.

http://www.ufei.org/bigtrees/bigtreelist.lasso

Australia has some of the tallest Eucalyptus(Gum) trees in the World. I've heard stories of 400 footers. I've seen 250' gum in Southern Victoria Aus. and giant swamp gums in the Tulume Forest, Tasmania.

I think Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga Canadensis). The picture was taken at the University of Massachusetts.

Last edited:
Just for poops and titters. I'm in the Stockbridge school here, I wanted more practice climbing, so me and my buddy went up on a lazy saturday morning. We did take out some dead wood and had a fire that night.

Last edited:
there are so many trees on the university campus here that i want to climb, but im pretty sure the department of public safety would roast my hide. and if i brought up anything that looked like a saw they would probly call in a sharp shooter. good pics, you should post more if you got um!

Back