Hillbilly Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bowtie

Bowtie

Gearhead
attachment.php
attachment.php
09349[/IMG]
attachment.php

The beam is a piece of 12" H-Piling from my old bridge jobsite, as well as the wedge. The push plate is old bridge bearing device pieces. The motor is a 11.5hp Briggs my dad gave me off his junk mower. The pump is a 13.6 gpm Haldex/Barnes pump. The cylinder is a 2" ram, 4" bore, 24"stroke off my uncle's old tractor. I have about 450$ in the whole thing. The axle is a narrowed 88' Chevy Beretta axle.

Last edited:
Zodiac45

Zodiac45

Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer
Way too go Dusty!

Excellent work and good lookin splitter! As far as the noise deal goes I've gotten into the habit of wearing ear protectors while sawing, splitting , even mowing!

Last edited:
Mr. Firewood

Mr. Firewood

ArboristSite Operative
changing teeth on the firewood processor in Toledo
So, the filter should be between the valve and tank instead of between the tank and pump? This is my first go around with one of these. I was just assuming that you would want to filter the oil coming out of the tank before it got to any of the working parts.

with it between the tank and the pump when it is cold or the filter gets crap in it it will restrict the line and case the pump to cavitate and that is no good for your pump and could be your problem with the line sucking flat, looks stout never the less:clap:

dustytools

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
My BIL moved the filter tonight from its original position over to the return side of the tank between the tank and valve. He called me a few minutes ago and said that the cylinder still moves outwards good but bogs the engine some and moves very slowly when you try to pull the cylinder back in. The flow arrow on the filter is pointing in the right direction (towards the tank). Any ideas what we might be doing wrong or what might be wrong in general? Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts