Hints, tips and tricks for noobs and geezers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless of the size of the chainsaw, electric or fuel mix, they all have two handles. They are there for a reason. Use them! I have heard comments about one handed chainsaws, I have seen some guys use the lesser cc chainsaws with one hand, but personally, when I use a chainsaw of any kind, it's one hand on each handle until the task is complete. It only takes a fraction of a second for something to go dreadfully wrong.

Some years back (about 1994) I had an acquaintance who liked to use anything under 40cc's as a one handed chainsaw. One day that chainsaw got away from him and split his abdomen wide open penetrating his entrails and severing the arteries at the spine. Did he survive? NO!

So remember, "There is no such thing as a ONE HANDED chainsaw!"

MY FAVORITE UNCLE!
I'm not old, but my hair is. At this point no grandkids, no dentures but I'm not even old enuff to get the senior citizens discount. But my hair is old. My wifey said its gonna be plum white one day. Muh kids said the camper shell on my truck is muh right of passage to becoming an old geezer. But hey, I have been called worse, and from a lot worse people than my favorite uncle. :D
Hey Unk, how did you get all them dad-blame credits?

Mostly by calling people geezers, but it helps to insult the mods a little as well. Go find Gologit and StihlSawing, and start saying bad things about their mothers. That'll really rack you up some credits. ;)

I will disagree with you. Snackeys are great at hauling wood, they are definitely something to look at when they are loading and hauling wood for you. It might be the only time snackeys are preferable.

BANNED!!!! :msp_scared:

I don't take a gun, I can't find my knife right now, and I don't have toilet paper handy when firewooding. I have my Used Dog, a pickup, ONE saw that hasn't been started to see if it will start, gas and oil, and my Power Puff girl pack o' accessories.

Yes, but you are a well-trained and experienced pro, and much less likely to make a mistake like the rest of us. I've had a need for two saws more than once. (And once even a need for 3 saws!) :bang:

Carry a well supplied first aid kit.

And, carry it on you!

I have a well stocked kit I keept under the truck seat; it will serve me well should I get a papercut or end up like Sonny from the Godfather. Mostly just big bandages, Combat Gauze (quick clot in gauze form), and a few tourniquets, covers gunshot wounds but also bad chainsaw accidents. Duct tape works too for smaller wounds from axe or knife accidents.
On me, when I'm away from the truck, I have a pressure dressing, tourniquet, band-aids and some smaller gauze. They fit right in my pockets. A phone or some way to communicate/signal is necessary too if I'm hurt badly.

I even have super glue in mine, stings a little but does work on some cuts in a pinch.:msp_ohmy:

Park your pickup so it is heading the way you'll be leaving. This serves two purposes, you may be a bit tired and tired people have more accidents--turning around in a tight spot can be difficult, and also if you have to leave in a hurry, you won't have to mess with turning around.

An item of emergency gear I never seen mentioned. A pocket knife. A SHARP pocket knife.

I didn't used to carry one until I read a couple reports where guys cut their way out of a jam with one. One of them cut his own arm off when his hand got trapped by a boulder.

Harry K
One of Gibbs rules 9 or 10 Don't go anyware without a knife

School of Hard Knocks...

Never Ever.... drive off road with a foot of snow on the ground...
You will run a stob through your sidewall that cannot be fixed..

Perfect tree right there, had to go off road for just a little ways...

:msp_angry::msp_angry::msp_angry::msp_angry:

Always make sure what you are doing when falling timber, Make the notch where you want it to go and make a good back cut. Most importantly, keep your head up and make sure you know what the top of the tree is so you can see if any widow makers are going to come down on top of you. Have fun and be safe out there!

Always make sure what you are doing when falling timber, Make the notch where you want it to go and make a good back cut. Most importantly, keep your head up and make sure you know what the top of the tree is so you can see if any widow makers are going to come down on top of you. Have fun and be safe out there!

Dont run till you know what way it is going.

Always look at your wifes dress before you comment on how good it looks!! Same goes for a new haircut!!!! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Regardless of the size of the chainsaw, electric or fuel mix, they all have two handles. They are there for a reason. Use them! I have heard comments about one handed chainsaws, I have seen some guys use the lesser cc chainsaws with one hand, but personally, when I use a chainsaw of any kind, it's one hand on each handle until the task is complete. It only takes a fraction of a second for something to go dreadfully wrong.

Some years back (about 1994) I had an acquaintance who liked to use anything under 40cc's as a one handed chainsaw. One day that chainsaw got away from him and split his abdomen wide open penetrating his entrails and severing the arteries at the spine. Did he survive? NO!

So remember, "There is no such thing as a ONE HANDED chainsaw!"

yep, about that same time I told a friend his wife needed to get both hands on her little Homelite, severed the tendons in her wrist the next day

Just before you kill your saw, pull the starter cord out about 6" and hold it loosely. When the saw dies, you'll feel a sharp pull on the cord. By holding the cord out, your hand absorbs that yank rather than the cord. "Shock load"--which is what happens to the cord if it's left in place--is the worst thing for rope or cordage of any kind.

Before learning this trick, I had to replace worn/busted starter cords every so often. In the years since, I've never replaced one.

Good tip. I never heard that before. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back