Hints, tips and tricks for noobs and geezers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get so tired that you think you might be too tired for that one last cut, don't do the cut. It's quittin' time.

Also, tell your wife/girlfriend that her butt looks tiny in that dress and your chances for getting lucky go way up.

1. Your cell phone's no good if it's in the truck and not on your person. Keep it close in a crush proof box (any recommendations?)

2. Remember your cant hook for rolling big logs. That reminds me, I gave my dandy five foot blue logrite to my kid. Gotta buy a new one for myself. Does anyone recommend the (more expensive) heavy duty yellow one over the blue? I've had a strong young buck, much stronger than me, use my blue one and he didn't bend it.

3. Bugs Eyes screen goggles work well for me.

4.. Be generous with others, give wood and help when needed, and it will repay you over and over again. Did some clearing for a neighbor in his grove a few years back. He stopped by and offered me an entire row of ash trees if I wanted them. Heck yes, now I'm set for future years.

1. Your cell phone's no good if it's in the truck and not on your person. Keep it close in a crush proof box (any recommendations?)

Pelican makes crushproof, waterproof boxes of all sizes. I have this one, which is more suited for keeping in a backpack, but just the right size for a phone and battery powered charger. I'm sure they make ones big enough for a phone but small enough to not bother you in your pockets.

Pelican makes crushproof, waterproof boxes of all sizes. I have this one, which is more suited for keeping in a backpack, but just the right size for a phone and battery powered charger. I'm sure they make ones big enough for a phone but small enough to not bother you in your pockets.

Nice, thank you

Don't lose your nuts

I almost lost a bar nut today. The last time I sharpened my chain and cleaned my saw I didn't tighten the bar nuts up all the way. After my first couple cuts today I went to engage the chain brake and it wouldn't go, so I turned off the saw and took a look at it and realized I was missing a nut and the remaining one was kind of loose. I got lucky though, found the nut in some needles where I had started cutting.

So, the noob learned a lesson today- always check equipment BEFORE starting the saw.

Don't lose your nuts

I almost lost a bar nut today. The last time I sharpened my chain and cleaned my saw I didn't tighten the bar nuts up all the way. After my first couple cuts today I went to engage the chain brake and it wouldn't go, so I turned off the saw and took a look at it and realized I was missing a nut and the remaining one was kind of loose. I got lucky though, found the nut in some needles where I had started cutting.

So, the noob learned a lesson today- always check equipment BEFORE starting the saw.

I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Lost a bar nut last winter while I was cutting stumps. Didn't know it had gone missing 'til I stopped to file the chain. There was no chance of finding it out in these woods with sawdust all around. And I had no spares. :(

I have spares now, picked up a 5-pack and keep 'em in the saw case. Ya just never know.

Latest posts

Back