Hipa chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some chains from them. I have yet to try them but I will say the shipping was extremely fast

I would hope your loops are better quality than the Chinese carbs sold on Amazon.
I can assure you that every penny you spend on Hipa chains is worth it. And if you'd like to give our chains a try, I can provide you with a discount code so you can use it firsthand. Shoot an email to [email protected] if you would like to.

I can assure you that every penny you spend on Hipa chains is worth it. And if you'd like to give our chains a try, I can provide you with a discount code so you can use it firsthand. Shoot an email to [email protected] if you would like to.
I'll consider it. As a rule I prefer to pay actual prices. I also lease and operate my own website and sell my custom machined motorcycle aftermarket parts and I don't offer any discounts ever because I have them priced competitively and at a profit margin that covers my labor and materials at a price point where I break even plus 10%. I'm [email protected] and my website is flipmeisters specialty products, fyi. It's business, pure and simple and has nothing to do with saw chains or anything else on this site so I don't ever post it except on motorcycle related sites I frequent.

I bought a couple 3/8 full and .325 for homelite and a husky. Waiting on the 3/8 skip chains until end of September, scamazon sale. Shipping and notification from the hipa store was excellent. My own little gripe is not being able to identify the chain from the wrapped packaging, but that’s fly sheet. 4 loops shipped to my door for 18$ is unheard of.

What I'm curious about is... How do they hold up compared to Oregon loops or Stihl loops. I'm hesitant to order any at this juncture. The price is excellent but if they don't hold up well and regrinding them is iffy, then I won't bother. Kind of like to see them sell bulk chain instead of pre made loops.

What I'm curious about is... How do they hold up compared to Oregon loops or Stihl loops. I'm hesitant to order any at this juncture. The price is excellent but if they don't hold up well and regrinding them is iffy, then I won't bother. Kind of like to see them sell bulk chain instead of pre made loops.
Buy one and find out but I bet you will be disappointed.

Buy one and find out but I bet you will be disappointed.
I take it you were then.... I'd like to buy either loops or bulk rolls for less than I pay presently. I tend to replace really rocked loops or rusted loops that my arborists drop off for me to grind for them. Rusted drive dogs will ruin any bar quick so I toss them in the scrap hopper. Oregon bulk is getting pretty high buck and Stihl pre made is over the top today.

I take it you were then.... I'd like to buy either loops or bulk rolls for less than I pay presently. I tend to replace really rocked loops or rusted loops that my arborists drop off for me to grind for them. Rusted drive dogs will ruin any bar quick so I toss them in the scrap hopper. Oregon bulk is getting pretty high buck and Stihl pre made is over the top today.
I have several of these chains. Don't have a grinder but they hand file well. They stretch alot the first time but are fine after that. There are several reviews on here about them. I have no complaints about the ones I have. Oregon presets will fit them.

Curious about Lone Wolf's opinion presently. I try to avoid anything made in China and that includes Chinese saws as well.
I fully understand about not buying Chinese stuff. It can't be avoided in most situations. The only people I have heard knocking it are the ones that haven't tried it. When have it on sale for $5 a loop, you can't beat it.

Sent you a pm.

Cheap doesn't mean better. You get what you pay for.
More expensive doesn't always mean better. Cheap only means that it costs less. Same, better or worse has to be tried to find out. And no, you absolutely DO NOT always get what you pay for. Sometimes the cheap stuff is so bad that it's not worth half of what it costs. Other times, the expensive stuff is only half as good as the cheap stuff.

Keep in mind that there are some industries where the Chinese products are the best quality you can find.

As far as HIPPA chains go, I'd be surprised if they hold up as well as a Stihl or Oregon chain. That said, if you're in the habit of touching up your chain every time you refill your tank, you'd probably never experience a dull HIPPA chain. The chain might only last half as long, but at $5/loop, who cares. A $35 Stihl loop might last twice as long, but that only means you're wasting $25 on a product that's not able to provide you with any appreciable increase in performance. On the other hand, if you cut until the chain is dull, and then swap chains, you might notice a HUGE difference between HIPPA and Stihl that would make the Stihl well worth the extra cost.

Keep in mind that there are some industries where the Chinese products are the best quality you can find.
Been my personal experience that the only time Chinese products are worth a dam is when there is strict oversight in manufacture. Case in point are the cordless battery operated hand tools sold by Milwaukee, Ryobi and DeWalt as well as the HF battery run tools. They are all made in China but made with strict oversight. Without continuous oversight, none of them would be worth beans.

Additionally, none of my arborist customers run Chinese saws or Chinese chain loops. Not gonna happen with them. They won't even use import (Chinese or India) made chipper knives. Loops are always either Oregon, Stihl or Echo and chipper knives are always domestic made. Been my first hand experience that import chipper knives (and I've dealt with a few) are made from sub standard steel and are not through hardened like the domestic knives are and I own a Rockwell Hardness tester so I can ascertain what is good and what isn't.

Been my personal experience that the only time Chinese products are worth a dam is when there is strict oversight in manufacture. Case in point are the cordless battery operated hand tools sold by Milwaukee, Ryobi and DeWalt as well as the HF battery run tools. They are all made in China but made with strict oversight. Without continuous oversight, none of them would be worth beans.

Additionally, none of my arborist customers run Chinese saws or Chinese chain loops. Not gonna happen with them. They won't even use import (Chinese or India) made chipper knives. Loops are always either Oregon, Stihl or Echo and chipper knives are always domestic made. Been my first hand experience that import chipper knives (and I've dealt with a few) are made from sub standard steel and are not through hardened like the domestic knives are and I own a Rockwell Hardness tester so I can ascertain what is good and what isn't.
No argument here. It entirely depends on the objective. For industries where China is a known producer of quality products, people are paying a premium for that quality. For most industries, China is the low cost alternative where the goal is to only not spend as much money. In those cases its a crap shoot because QC is all over the place. Once the manufacturer establishes some good, consistent Quality Control, the products start to get pretty good. That's especially true any time you're dealing with heat treated steel. It's not difficult to properly heat treat steel, but it does require a specific process to be followed. If that process isn't strictly adhered to, the quality of the product sucks. Harbor Freight has some good examples of Chinese products that have developed at least a decent QC program. Their engines used to be absolute crap even though they were Honda clones. The QC requirements were very loose. As those requirements were tightened over time, the HF engines became some of the best small engines on the market. This was all before they came out with the Predator line. I've used a couple of their small engines, and they've run better, and more reliably than any Briggs or Kohler engine that I've had that was made in this century. They still aren't a Honda, but they've been a close 2nd on dependability for me. I suspect that a few of the chainsaw clones are going through this process as well. The initial quality sucked and several components, including seals and bearings, needed to be swapped out right off the bat. The quality and consistency have improved, but there's still room for them to get better. It's just a question of when will they decide they are "good enough".

Some people refuse to buy imports. I don't actually blame them. The problem is that they don't realize how much of their stuff is actually imported. My folks fall into that category. They insist on buying Ford or GM products that were built in Mexico, and refuse to buy a Honda or Toyota even though those vehicles are built and produced right here in their own state. The funny thing is that neither of them has anything good to say about unions either. LOL

Latest posts

Back