Hitch height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My new truck is almost finished, as soon as the bed is done being built they're going to mount it and put a frame mounted hitch on.

Anybody have an idea of what a good average height to put the hitch would be for towing chippers? It'll have a combo hitch and I have a duck + chuck now but will prolly get a little bigger chipper eventually. It will be adjustable a little with 3 sets of holes to bolt to but won't be too diff. ,wanna try and get it right the first time!

I installed the hitch on both of my Dumps to the top of the receiver tube at 22" i use a 2" drop on the Chuck-N and a straight for the equipment Trailers. :blob2:

When its Loaded Really Loaded It sits at 16" thats why i installed them at that Height. :blob2:

theres a new altec bucket with a chuck and duck on it at the yard. you you want me to check the factory hieght?

The hitch is going to be bolted to a plate on the back , not a reciver type hitch. I don't think the backend will drop that much on this truck(I hope) Surely does on the one I got now though!

Originally posted by spike_it
theres a new altec bucket with a chuck and duck on it at the yard. you you want me to check the factory hieght?
If you don't mind that would be great. I've got some brochures somewhere around here from Southco and another, have to find them and see if they list a height.

LMAO Todd, I get you a picture of Really Loaded! then you'll understand! What means will you use to keep the chips from blowing over the truck? :D

I recomend putting the hitch so that the chipper is level when the truck is half loaded. you have better brakes when the chipper is level. and the chute will pretty much remain the same level.

if your chipper is real heavy and the tounge is angled up, and your truck is empty the chipper has a tendancy to lift the rear tires. so when the "blue hair and knuckels" pulls out on you you can stop and keep control of the truck. ;)

With the Truck Todd is Getting and the Chuck i dont think he'll have that problem
Level for my Asplundh is 20" :D I was Hauling the Skid steer Loaded truck with logs and a blue hair Pulled out in front of Me Geeeeeeeees I think the trailer stopped the Truck! :angry:

Originally posted by DDM
LMAO Todd, I get you a picture of Really Loaded! then you'll understand! What means will you use to keep the chips from blowing over the truck? :D
My asplundh is nice and easy to pick up off the hitch when level but man load that truck up and it's sittin low it's a beotch!

I'm gonna make a removable roof that I can fold up in 2 sections to load when needed and unhitch the pins to remove all the way. Should work:p

It's an Isuzu NQR, at the paint shop right now!!!!!

Todd, I have a 4x8'Frame with a piece of OSB on Hinges in the front on the truck it has a support bar on each side It has 3 positions Straight up 45 Deg and Down or top of bed level Works pretty well If i want to load from the side i position it all the way up. Chips on 45 and Down the road level. :blob2:

Todd, wouldn't you be better off with a reciever hitch? Who knows when you might need to pull something besides the one chipper you now own. Unless you are pulling a Vermeer 2000 or bigger that exceeds the 10,000lb capacity of a class 3 reciever hitch, I don't understand why you would mount your pintle hitch directly to the frame. With the reciever hitch, you have a LOT of versatility with height and different types of recievers.

You're right, I'll still be able to tow my trailers with the ball hitch on the combo but might not be on a very good angle:Monkey:

Need to find a happy medium but I also want to be able to tow larger equipt. trailers to haul a tractor or skid steer if I need to and I'd be worried about doing it on a class 3 hitch.

I hate Pintle Hitches I changed my Chuck-N-Duck to a 2" ball. A receiver is the way to go. I use a 10000 lb Ball adaptor 2" on side & 2 5/16" on the other Handles all my towing needs. From log splitter to Skid steer.

Virtually every truck I've worked around had the hitch about 18"-20" height. That's just below knee level! :eek: Got the scars to prove it.

Class 3's can pull a messload of weight. My record on my 18' flatbed was 24000lbs crossing the scales (that's the DIFFERENCE between loaded and empty, not counting the truck and trailer) pulling it with a '78 F-250 and a class 3 hitch. When the truck came up over the top of the dump mountain, it took about 30'-40' before the front wheels came down. With the 460 racing and the dual glasspacks screaming, everyone in the dump stopped and stared in amazement!

Anyway, they have pintle hitches with a 2 5/16" ball instead of the bottom half of the donut. That way you can pull either type of trailer hitch. I think either way would work well.

Originally posted by treeclimber165
Virtually every truck I've worked around had the hitch about 18"-20" height. That's just below knee level! :eek: Got the scars to prove it.

I put a hitch on the front of the S-10 to push the stump cutter around in the yards. I would leave the the hitch in the front receiver and cruse the blvd. I loved it when punks would cross the road in front of me and kick the heck out of the hitch with their shin. :eek:

Back