Hitch height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd, what is GVW on that thing? I have a friend who owns a Mitsubishi FE FH or whatever it is. The thing is supposed to carry 3 - 4 tons no problem. It has a 10' dump body on it. We blew that thing full of chips a few times. WAY overload when we had it close to full. (no chipper on the back)

It's 18000 GVW, body/payload of 12000? Something close to that, putting a 12 ft dump on it with behind the cab toolbox.
Don't think I'll be overloading this one too often:D

LOL Thats what i used to say when i had a F-800 Dump! :D I broke the springs on it . :D

It really sucks that you can't buy a heavy truck now a days without having to have a crew that all have CDLs. anything over 26k requires the CDLS. hard enough finding tree workers with a lic., impossible with CDLs. LOL

What about the International 4700's / F-650's / etc? Those are just under CDL but do require the class C weight endorsement. Do any of you guys use them?

The guy I work with bought a '96 GMC Topkick chip truck a month ago. No CDL needed. With only an 11' chip box, it never gets overloaded, although the tranny doesn't like pulling a full load AND chipper. Rear springs just start to get tolerable at that point, though.

why are you guys against the big trucks? i had an international with a 16 foot box and towed a dual axle 20in chipper behind it. the truck is still 8 feet wide. we got that truck all through the streets of brooklyn, hoboken, manhattan etc. i had pintle hitch's on everything.( i guess you could say i had no balls)

Isn't there a standard measurement of 18" for a ball hitch and 24" for a pintle hitch?

I really like the type hitch that has the ball and also has an arm that locks down to create a pintle. If you are hauling a ball type hitch, you can also lock down the arm, thus holding it on very securely. With this type hich you can haul anything.

Back