Hitch height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Todd, what is GVW on that thing? I have a friend who owns a Mitsubishi FE FH or whatever it is. The thing is supposed to carry 3 - 4 tons no problem. It has a 10' dump body on it. We blew that thing full of chips a few times. WAY overload when we had it close to full. (no chipper on the back)

Toddppm

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
It's 18000 GVW, body/payload of 12000? Something close to that, putting a 12 ft dump on it with behind the cab toolbox.
Don't think I'll be overloading this one too often:D

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
What about the International 4700's / F-650's / etc? Those are just under CDL but do require the class C weight endorsement. Do any of you guys use them?

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
The guy I work with bought a '96 GMC Topkick chip truck a month ago. No CDL needed. With only an 11' chip box, it never gets overloaded, although the tranny doesn't like pulling a full load AND chipper. Rear springs just start to get tolerable at that point, though.

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
why are you guys against the big trucks? i had an international with a 16 foot box and towed a dual axle 20in chipper behind it. the truck is still 8 feet wide. we got that truck all through the streets of brooklyn, hoboken, manhattan etc. i had pintle hitch's on everything.( i guess you could say i had no balls)

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
Isn't there a standard measurement of 18" for a ball hitch and 24" for a pintle hitch?

I really like the type hitch that has the ball and also has an arm that locks down to create a pintle. If you are hauling a ball type hitch, you can also lock down the arm, thus holding it on very securely. With this type hich you can haul anything.

Latest posts