Holley 80555C 650 CFM 4175 Spread Bore Carburetor??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An opinion

The only experience I have had with Holley carbs isn't good. It is possible that this one might work really well for you.

If it was me, I would stick with the Q-jet. I understand them, and they have treated me better. To each his own as the story goes....

The only experience I have had with Holley carbs isn't good. It is possible that this one might work really well for you.

If it was me, I would stick with the Q-jet. I understand them, and they have treated me better. To each his own as the story goes....

Ditto for me. I have found Holley's to get worse fuel mileage and had fits with power valves for awhile. Consequently, I really got into the QJ's for a time and had 75 or so. The QJ has much more adjustability than any carb ever made. Or that's my claim anyway.

edit: a close second for a QJ would be an Edelbrock 1406. They do ok.

Why dont you run 3 dueces might be hard to get tuned just right, but it sure looks cool.

Ditto for me. I have found Holley's to get worse fuel mileage and had fits with power valves for awhile. Consequently, I really got into the QJ's for a time and had 75 or so. The QJ has much more adjustability than any carb ever made. Or that's my claim anyway.

edit: a close second for a QJ would be an Edelbrock 1406. They do ok.

Wow, I have to agree, I love the Q-jet.

The Q-jet that came on the car was butchered real bad. It only worked as a two barrel. The secondaries didn't work. All the linkage was gone.

I've never messed around with Q-jets anyway's. I'm not knocking them at all. I've just alway's used Holley (and 1 Edelbrock) carbs.

I'm not going to mess around with the Q-jet, I'm going to get another carb. I'm looking for a good street/daily driver carb. I'm willing to give up a little max power so the car is more drivable.

I'm done with Holley products (which also includes NOS, Weiand, Earl's, Hooker and Flowtech). I've been trying to get though to their tech suppport line since last Thursday for product information. I called twice a day Thurs, Fri and yesterday. I was on hold hold 20 to 30 minutes each time, before I hung up.

I called Holley's corporate office yesterday. A lady answered the phone, I told her I needed product information, she told me she was going to transfer me to their tech department. I told her I've been on hold waiting for them twice a day for 20 to 30 minutes each time since last Thursday.

I asked if there was someone else I could talk to, I just had a quick question. She got rude and said if I need tech advise I'd have to be transferred and wait. I said I've done that for three days already. I told her that when I call Edelbrock they answer their phone within a few minutes and that maybe I should go with Edelbrock's products instead. She said that sounds good and hung up on me.

Holley can go $h!t in their hat. I won't buy anything from a company that doesn't support their customers! I was going to buy a new carb and new fuel pump. Edelbrock or someone else with get my money now.

That sucks about your lack of customer service, that can make or break a company. I hope you have better luck with edelbrock. Not to hijack your thread, but I use edelbrock carb and intake on my 67 bird, but I also use hooker headers, but after reading about your bad experience, neither will I use their products again.

Sad to hear of all the people with Holley troubles.
Raced them for years, the most tuneable carbs. ever designed.....IF you understand them.
HP productions published an excellent book on how to tune / modify Holley's, essential reading if you want to tune them.
The 650 spreadbore should be an excellent street carb for your small block, better driveability than a double pumper.
Is it a vacuum or mechanical secondary?
:cheers: Paul

I've always had good luck out of Holley. Once I learned how to tune them (acc pump, squirter, power valve, jets, and pump cam). If I was looking at a new carb for a stout small block I'd have to consider a Demon, heard a lot of good things bout them. http://www.barrygrant.com/

Basically his carbs are Holleys with more tuning features.
If I were to race again, I'd buy a used Holley and do the mods myself, for way less cash.
:cheers:
Paul

I just read your other post. I would go with 670 holley street avenger for the 383 for just driving around or 750 holley if you want max hp. If your running an auto with low gears 3.73 or numerically lower stick with a vaccum secondary carb. If you have a 4spd and 3.73 or higher, go with a double pumper.

The Performer RPM is an awesome manifold capable of supporting an rpm range to 6500rpm. I have a Performer RPM on my 350 .060 over in my 69 camaro. I'm running a decent cam .480I/.494E lift and 228I/234E duration at .050 and Trickflow aluminum heads. I currently have a 600cfm edelbrock carb and its jetting is maxed out. My car runs fine, but its a little too small for my application. I'm going with either a Holley 650 or 750 Hp series carb. I don't need the choke or air horn as I want max horsepower.

Last edited:
Sad to hear of all the people with Holley troubles.
Raced them for years, the most tuneable carbs. ever designed.....IF you understand them.
HP productions published an excellent book on how to tune / modify Holley's, essential reading if you want to tune them.
The 650 spreadbore should be an excellent street carb for your small block, better driveability than a double pumper.
Is it a vacuum or mechanical secondary?
:cheers: Paul
Yes it has vacuum secondary's.

I think that really would be one of the best carburetors for my set up. I just can't buy something for a company that won't even try to help me before I buy their products. If they won't help before I buy their products, what will they do after I buy their products and have trouble. I just can't do it.

Which really sucks because I have more experience with Holley carburetors then the other brands

I just read your other post. I would go with 670 holley street avenger for the 383 for just driving around or 750 holley if you want max hp. If your running an auto with low gears 3.73 or numerically lower stick with a vaccum secondary carb. If you have a 4spd and 3.73 or higher, go with a double pumper.

The Performer RPM is an awesome manifold capable of supporting an rpm range to 6500rpm. I have a Performer RPM on my 350 .060 over in my 69 camaro. I'm running a decent cam .480I/.494E lift and 228I/234E duration at .050 and Trickflow aluminum heads. I currently have a 600cfm edelbrock carb and its jetting is maxed out. My car runs fine, but its a little too small for my application. I'm going with either a Holley 650 or 750 Hp series carb. I don't need the choke or air horn as I want max horsepower.

I'm go to stick with a 350. I'll save a little money, plus the added torque of a 383 will probably hurt me more then it helps me. I'm going to use the stock suspension and 235/60-14 tires.

This is what I'm going to do-

I'm going to have the cylinders bored and torque plate honed, the mains line honed and the decks trued up. I'll have the complete rotating assembly balanced.

I'm looking at a rebuild kit from Summit ($440). It comes with forged pistons (pressed pins), moly rings, bearings, gaskets, HV oil pump. Pretty much everything to assemble the engine. Scat cast crank ($190) and 4340 "I" beam rods ($212). I might as well buy these, by the time I have mine turned/resized, buy new rod bolts and have them put in I'll have just about the same money into my old parts.

World Products S/R Torquer heads, 2.02"/1.60" valves, 67cc chambers which will give me right around 9.4:1 compression.

Comp Cams Xtreme Energy hydraulic flat tappet CSXE268H-10 cam. 224/230 dur @.050", 268/280 adver. .477"/.480" valve lift with a 110° lobe sep ang. 1600-5800 RPM range.

Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. Edelbrock Thunder Series 650 AVS carb.

I just put Hedman 1 5/8" full length headers and Flowmaster 2 1/2" full length exhaust system on it.

I'm going to use a TH350 with about a 2000 RPM stall converter. I'm going to use 3.42 gears.

I'd like to get 325 to 350 horsepower with good street torque out of it.

Edelbrock makes good improved reproductions of Carters (performer series) which offer decent performance and good adjustability. I've had a couple Edelbrocks and they were rock solid carbs that required very little adjustment after the initial tuning.

I'm not a big fan of their ThermoQuad that's in my Dodge truck, but it's not a bad carb per se, just to much smog stuff on it for my taste.

Last edited:
i have Holleys on my Jeep and my Javelin... I had a Carter 625 and a performer intake on the Jav last year very good set up very reliable but over the winter I put a torker intake, 280 magnum cam, roller rockers, and springs on so i wanted more carb and im more familiar with the holleys so thats the route i took

Have your considered gm vortec heads since your getting a new manifold anyway? S/R Torquers are sort of an updated version of old style cylinder head. Actually S/R stands for Stock Replacement. Vortecs would probably gave you more power and they have a much more modern fast burn combustion chamber design. They are $300 per head and the lift of your cam should work.

Have your considered gm vortec heads since your getting a new manifold anyway? S/R Torquers are sort of an updated version of old style cylinder head. Actually S/R stands for Stock Replacement. Vortecs would probably gave you more power and they have a much more modern fast burn combustion chamber design. They are $300 per head and the lift of your cam should work.

Yes, I've been looking at Summit's Vortec Heads. They come fully assembled, can handle up to .520" valve lift and have 67cc chambers which will actually lower my compression ratio a little. I want to keep it under 9.5:1. They cost $650 a pair. The S/R heads cost $980 assembled. I could buy the parts and put them together myself for a lot less. But it still wouldn't be anywhere near $650.

On my Comp Cams computer dyno, the heads are very close in flow and power. It almost doesn't matter which heads I use as far as performance go's, they're so close. I might as well get the best bang for my buck though...which is the Vortec's!

Just a little FYI, Summit owns Trickflow so I bet they make the heads your looking at. I've read lots of reviews on comps xe268 cam. I think that cam likes around 9.5 to 1 compression. With decent heads and around 9.5 to 1 you should make closer to 400hp. I'd measure your pistons to see how far they are down in the hole. Most factory pistons arearound 0.025 down. If your having your engine decked, make sure you pick a head gasket that will give you a quench (distance between the top of the piston and the bottom of the cylinder head) of around .035-.045. This will definitely help control denotation and also allow you to run 9.5 with no issues at all.

Latest posts

Back