Hollow tree problem...diseased?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentannenbaum

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and concerned about a ragged beauty next to my house.
I think it's a black walnut tree. It's nearly hollow from half the trunk down to the ground. Hate the idea of taking it down but have obvious concerns. Seems very sturdy otherwise. I've taken the attached photos in the hope someone can steer me. Otherwise, my wife will steer me off a cliff! Thank you.

Small nuts for that size tree,it's on the way out. If there is no danger of it falling on the house? I allways hate to see yard trees go.

Appreciate the reply. Although it is very close to the house, I can well imagine bringing in an expert to trim is back to safety. I agree with you about not wanting to bring it down. Adding to the misery, frankly, is that it's the ONLY
tree near the house, which gives it real significance to the look of the place.
One question, by "on it's way out" what can that mean in the worst case?
All kidding aside, do these things tend to crack and fall eventually?
I'm thinking of calling a local tree guy for advice but would not want to deal with a "chainsaw happy" just taking it down for the money. Anyway, thanks very much.

All kidding aside, do these things tend to crack and fall eventually?
Eventually, yes--may be a decade, may be a century. the tree in the attached tale was ~90% hollow and lasted 13 years; may still be alive today if the caretaker had his stuff together.

Examine the root collar--get that extra dirt off the hollowish side of the trunk, and post a picture of the root attachment. You may uncover the "root" cause of your tree's issues.

And stop killing roots by cultivating lawn to the trunk--MULCH!

You the MAN! I am forever surprised and delighted by other's expertise.
I've been a pro photographer for many years and over that time have given free advice many times, advancing the general cause and generally feeling good about it. What goes around comes around.

Anyway, thank you.

You the MAN! I am forever surprised and delighted by other's expertise.
I've been a pro photographer for many years and over that time have given free advice many times, advancing the general cause and generally feeling good about it. What goes around comes around.

Anyway, thank you.

You're welcome. I suck as a photographer (maybe you can tell from that article, tho i have gotten a little better since 2005) so I may want to pick your brain--wish you were in nc.

there's a guy here ADRT I think who is in your area; maybe pm him for help? meanwhile, looking fwd to your image of the primary roots under the hollow (into which you can shove a yardstick to get an idea of HOW hollow it is.)

you near rhinebeck?

Rhinebeck's on the east side of the Hudson River; we're about 7-8 miles west of the Hudson and north of Rhinebeck by 30-40 minutes. Actually, we're just about to buy the place, the closing should be within two weeks. It was during the house inspection last week that I noticed the hollow. I think it goes from about 4ft where the hole is, all the way down. I did not look up into the trunk but I sure will, as well as, longer term looking into whatever else we can do to preserve the tree. Unfortunately, money's very tight. I'll get back to you, but be patient since we don't own it yet!

Latest posts

Back