Home-Made Ax Handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secureland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I made this several years ago.
It has split alot of firewood and never been protected near the ax-head.

made from Bitternut Hickory. An 8" piece was quartered with wedges and then shaved down with a draw-shave.

It split all the firewood in the photo and has done alot more over the years.

I didn't have plans so it's a bit crude, but i must have gotten lucky because this thing is tougher than anything I've ever used from a store.

100_2183.jpg

100_2193.jpg

100_2197.jpg

Something good about stuff you make yourself, rather than running to the store. I spent an hour this a.m. making a bumper spike for a Homelite - When you've got a shop full of tools, why not use them? Nice work on the handle. :clap:

Slip a 6" piece of radiator hose over it to give it some protection. If a car radiator hose isn't big enough, stop at your local diesel shop and ask for one out of their dumpster.

If you don't have a hose then maybe some tire inner tube wrapped around the damaged area would work.

I have used either #13 steel wire (about 100 wraps) or 80-lb test nylon mason line with success. This equates to about a 4" long collar. Use a lashing wrap and pull-through knot. My handle has never broken after 20 years. Prior to the collar reinforcement, I went through three of them.

Back