Home made fire starter sticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a fence com, just down the road that I have been getting wood scraps from for several years. They pre cut 1x6 cedar wood fence boards by the pallet load.
The drop off's are 6'' x 6'' x 1'' and are perfect for making fire starter sticks. I simply take a hatchet and split them up in finger size pieces. Then I take left over scrap candles and melt it in a big pot. Then I take the sticks and soak them in the hot wax for about 10 min. They work perfect for fire starter sticks because they light easy and burn hot about 10 times as long as without the wax.
I'm sure any dry wood cut up into small slender pieces would work as long as they are soaked in wax or some other kind of fuel. I like wax because ity's clean and dry. I can get a fire started in no time without using any fuel by using this method. I might add starter sticks to my inventory to sell along with the firewood I sell in the winter.
I'm using cedar fence wood scraps because they are free and split very easy and light easy and burn hot for a short time.

Toilet paper rolls stuffed with saw dust and capped with crumpled newspaper to keep the saw dust in. No cost, very little time, and all parts at the house. Been using them as fire starters for years now
You can also put a little used motor oil on them for longer burn time. Just a squirt and it soaks in to the paper caps and roll. It’s a one match light every time

My wife and I make starter cups out of wood chips and old candles or paraffin from Michael's.
167291d702cebc10d21584362ff2499c.jpg
d02e2e835b28b1fd923fb1244a4dc98d.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]

I always use diesel to start my fires or used oil of some kind on the shrapnel I generate from splitting wood. I do sell big bags of scraps for people that buy cords, but I was looking for something that is clean and uniform safe and non toxic that I can sell in smaller amounts.

I just get a square of paper kitchen towel folded up a few times, up end a bottle of metho on it, and stuff it at the base of the fire.
Quick, no smoke, good heat to help clear the cold air in the flue if you have issues like that, and burns long enough to get the kindling started.

edited to add
ive also made up some wax and wood shavings in egg cartons like those pictured too.

I'm sure all the above work. As I've two small stoves and have to light them daily I'm always keen to get tips that are easy and cheap or free. I've used old candles but don't bother melting them, I grated some on to a sheet of newspaper and then rolled/twisted it into a wax filled sausage. Mainly I just use kindling and newspaper, Always pickup the splinters after splitting and throw on the stack to dry. The kids Ice lolly (popsicle?) Sticks, wax from baby Bel cheeses get kept all summer and used. It's all about reducing waste by reusing. I've thought about used engine oil but not thought up a non messy way. BBQ lighter gel squirted on newspaper is pretty good and bottles of gel cheap if bought at the end of the season.
Mainly it's kindling and newspaper though.
Tried gas torch when I came across some old bottles they needed using up, they didn't work so well for me for some reason.
One thing I've not tried but would like to know more on... strips of plastic bottle. PET plastic and HDPE are both just hydrogen and carbon, no chlorine or other elements like pvc has. Basically it is like wax but cross bonded chains (polimerised). Pvc and such are very bad to burn, producing dioxins, highly poisonous. I can't find any data on burning pet or HDPE though. I can imagine they are no worse than wood or wax but can't confirm. If they are 'clean' then strips of milk bottle or pop bottle would probably be a good starter fuel

Is top-down something you can start and walk away from and it doesn’t need any fiddling? In 40 years I’ve never started a fire top-down… I’ve seen it mentioned a few times now so I might give it a go. If anyone wants to share their method it would be appreciated.

Is top-down something you can start and walk away from and it doesn’t need any fiddling? In 40 years I’ve never started a fire top-down… I’ve seen it mentioned a few times now so I might give it a go. If anyone wants to share their method it would be appreciated.

This is my method. It might not suit your fire. Big splits at the bottom, smaller splits on top, then large kindling, then small kindling. Primary and secondary air open. Light small kindling with newspaper or firelighter and close the door. At 300F/150C close primary air. At about 450F/225C restrict secondary air and the temperature then levels off at around 600F/300C. Then add big splits occasionally, as required. I use a Condar stove-top thermometer which eliminates guesswork about how the fire is developing.

Latest posts

Back