Home made fire starter sticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a fence com, just down the road that I have been getting wood scraps from for several years. They pre cut 1x6 cedar wood fence boards by the pallet load.
The drop off's are 6'' x 6'' x 1'' and are perfect for making fire starter sticks. I simply take a hatchet and split them up in finger size pieces. Then I take left over scrap candles and melt it in a big pot. Then I take the sticks and soak them in the hot wax for about 10 min. They work perfect for fire starter sticks because they light easy and burn hot about 10 times as long as without the wax.
I'm sure any dry wood cut up into small slender pieces would work as long as they are soaked in wax or some other kind of fuel. I like wax because ity's clean and dry. I can get a fire started in no time without using any fuel by using this method. I might add starter sticks to my inventory to sell along with the firewood I sell in the winter.
I'm using cedar fence wood scraps because they are free and split very easy and light easy and burn hot for a short time.

I also use Cedar, but I don’t see a need to do anything with them. Cedar burns quite well without any help.

every year I make fire starters to give out for christmas.. I melt gulf wax and dip cotton balls in about 2/3 and set to cool on parchment paper. They burn clean enough to start a grill or fireplace and light very easily. outside fires get a diesel/used oil or old gas left to evaporate/used oil mix or fatlighter if I have some split up.

Nope, I am perfectly happy, splitting old railroad ties small, and soaking them in used motor oil, it works very well for getting the chunks of old tires burning quite nicely

Doug
good one! A long time ago when I was working on a timber and surfaceing gang with the railroad. We had a guy whose job it was to pull out the spikes in the ties we where going to replace. This guy chain smoked and he had a habit of poking his cigarette butts down in the spike holes of the old cross ties. I was operating a tie crane which we used to pick up the old ties and place in bundles. The machine had two carts, one in front and one behind, each holding a 16tie bundle. I loaded up one cart and turned around to load the other and when I turned back around to dump the first cart, I noticed smoke comeing from the bundle. I knew what it was right off so I got my water cooler and started dumping water on the xtie that I thought was burning. It worked, or so I thought. I dumped the cart of ties and continued on working. A few minutes later someone came over the radio and said that a bundle of ties was on fire. I backed up to the bundle with the tiecrane and could see smoke again coming from the bundle. Boss man says, bust the bundle and I did using the crane to break the bands. As soon as the bundle fell apart, it burst into huge flames, caught the weeds beside the track on fire and started running wildly toward a bunch of houses. Everybody was in a panic, beating at the fire with shovels, stomping with their feet, emptying water coolers on it and some even used fire extinguser. We managed to keep the fire semi under control until the fire trucks showed up. Needless to say, the guy that liked to stuff cigarette butts into spike holes got a strong lecture and stopped what up to that point was what he thought was being funny.

good one! A long time ago when I was working on a timber and surfaceing gang with the railroad. We had a guy whose job it was to pull out the spikes in the ties we where going to replace. This guy chain smoked and he had a habit of poking his cigarette butts down in the spike holes of the old cross ties. I was operating a tie crane which we used to pick up the old ties and place in bundles. The machine had two carts, one in front and one behind, each holding a 16tie bundle. I loaded up one cart and turned around to load the other and when I turned back around to dump the first cart, I noticed smoke comeing from the bundle. I knew what it was right off so I got my water cooler and started dumping water on the xtie that I thought was burning. It worked, or so I thought. I dumped the cart of ties and continued on working. A few minutes later someone came over the radio and said that a bundle of ties was on fire. I backed up to the bundle with the tiecrane and could see smoke again coming from the bundle. Boss man says, bust the bundle and I did using the crane to break the bands. As soon as the bundle fell apart, it burst into huge flames, caught the weeds beside the track on fire and started running wildly toward a bunch of houses. Everybody was in a panic, beating at the fire with shovels, stomping with their feet, emptying water coolers on it and some even used fire extinguser. We managed to keep the fire semi under control until the fire trucks showed up. Needless to say, the guy that liked to stuff cigarette butts into spike holes got a strong lecture and stopped what up to that point was what he thought was being funny.
Just imagine how that bundle of ties would have gone up, using my old motor oil Secret Formula!!!

Awhile back there was a thread about what kind of wood members were burning, so I threw out the Railroad Ties and Old Tires comment, and Gunny PM’d me asking if I was SERIOUS?????

Ya all KNOW how Gunny Liked FREE STUFF, I thought that old RR Ties and Tires would be right up Gunny’s alley

Ever since then I have played with that Tires and Ties story, and well Schitt, the used motor oil just fit in so well

Hey, a Guy’s gotta do what a Guy’s gotta do to keep his Family Warm and all, ya know

Doug

We use 100% of the ashes from 4 cords or so per year as a soil additive so we are careful of what we put in our free standing Jotul wood stove. Probably about 30% of our ashes go into the vegetable garden and the rest we spread around in 20 wooded acres. We use the 'top down' system of starting a fire because it works well and because it quickly gets the stove into it's high efficiency secondary combustion mode. Our 20th year with our Jotul F600CB

Jotul F600CB great secondary flame.jpg

Just imagine how that bundle of ties would have gone up, using my old motor oil Secret Formula!!!

Awhile back there was a thread about what kind of wood members were burning, so I threw out the Railroad Ties and Old Tires comment, and Gunny PM’d me asking if I was SERIOUS?????

Ya all KNOW how Gunny Liked FREE STUFF, I thought that old RR Ties and Tires would be right up Gunny’s alley

Ever since then I have played with that Tires and Ties story, and well Schitt, the used motor oil just fit in so well

Hey, a Guy’s gotta do what a Guy’s gotta do to keep his Family Warm and all, ya know

Doug
If I had a nickle for every xtie I have handled, I could pay a Butler to keep the thermostat adjusted on a electric furnace. Best count using adverage's it would come out to about 19,200, 000 ties. Maybe more as we where putting in a lot more ties perday in my later years than when I first started. How long could you keep a fire going with that many ties.

I have a fence com, just down the road that I have been getting wood scraps from for several years. They pre cut 1x6 cedar wood fence boards by the pallet load.
The drop off's are 6'' x 6'' x 1'' and are perfect for making fire starter sticks. I simply take a hatchet and split them up in finger size pieces. Then I take left over scrap candles and melt it in a big pot. Then I take the sticks and soak them in the hot wax for about 10 min. They work perfect for fire starter sticks because they light easy and burn hot about 10 times as long as without the wax.
I'm sure any dry wood cut up into small slender pieces would work as long as they are soaked in wax or some other kind of fuel. I like wax because ity's clean and dry. I can get a fire started in no time without using any fuel by using this method. I might add starter sticks to my inventory to sell along with the firewood I sell in the winter.
I'm using cedar fence wood scraps because they are free and split very easy and light easy and burn hot for a short time.
Great idea and use of old fence cedars.
I use kiln-dried spruce and pine that I get from work as scrap.
They are extremely dry.
They start easy as it is the starter and kindling all-in-one.
They come as pieces 3" x 1" x 36" long. I cut them into 3s at 12" long.
A bit of newspaper under them and I'm off to the races.

This is my method. It might not suit your fire. Big splits at the bottom, smaller splits on top, then large kindling, then small kindling. Primary and secondary air open. Light small kindling with newspaper or firelighter and close the door. At 300F/150C close primary air. At about 450F/225C restrict secondary air and the temperature then levels off at around 600F/300C. Then add big splits occasionally, as required. I use a Condar stove-top thermometer which eliminates guesswork about how the fire is developing.
A thermometer does help eliminate guesswork.
I always recommend everyone use one placed on the black chimney pipe 18" above the top of the stove.
Most are magnetic for this purpose.
IMG_20200319_102623610 - Copy (2).jpg

A thermometer does help eliminate guesswork.
I always recommend everyone use one placed on the black chimney pipe 18" above the top of the stove.
Most are magnetic for this purpose.

My chimney pipe is insulated and doesn't give a true reading, so I got a thermometer that is designed to sit on the stove top. I moved it close to the corner of the stove for the photo. Normally it sits midway between the corner and the pipe.

IMG_20210922_123552_kindlephoto-69958584.jpg

I've been using this stove for years as both a heat source and cook top when I've lost power. A customer of mine gave me a nice blower for it and it really puts out some heat. I fabricated the 2 vent deflectors to push heat forward rather then the side.
fe8d3ed4ee4cf43d7b1b6e32474d332c.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]

Nope, I am perfectly happy, splitting old railroad ties small, and soaking them in used motor oil, it works very well for getting the chunks of old tires burning quite nicely

Doug
Sounds perfect to me works every time I am sure. I think every one should know you are home with a little smoke in the air. Thanks

Back