Homelite 2100 cracked crankcase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcowboy1974

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Is it possible to weld or JB Weld with good results a cracked crankcase? It's cracked started on the bottom of the clutch and runs down to where the handle bolts on the saw! Is it possible to weld this with good results or is the saw not worth repairing. It has 165lbs. compression now but with it being cracked won't the saw run lean as if there were an air leak! What kind of welding rod would you use? Please email me at [email protected] with your suggestions or any ideas! Thanks to all who reply!!!!!

I would get it tig welded, the rod would have to match the base metal either aluminum or magnesium....Bob

I agree with Bob, Tig welded by a pro. A crack in the case should lean it out and I wouldn't trust JB weld for this.

Hey Scott,
Does that crack actually extend up past where the case goes into the oiler? I would think, by looking at picture of the crack, that the crack is only located on the thinner metal of the case. The crank case, the area that the crank actually occupies, is more then likely completely intact. Have you started it to see if it runs lean, or had someone do a pressure test? I know your looking for another complete saw now, but that one is probably fine. How many saws do you have now mad wood cutter?
Travis

Last edited:
Not Scotts Saw!

This is a saw that Scott was going to buy from me. Tkemble you are completly correct in your summery of the situation. This is one of three that I had ( Bill G now has two and will get this one too is he wants it) . It runs fine. Idles clean and has terrific response. More so than my Jonsered 111s. The other two of these had already been welded in that area and in other areas along that side. Seems as if it may be common. This one has no other welds. I think that Scott passed up a good deal but then its better to be on the safe side. He did the right thing for him.......Bob

Safe

Yes, I guess I was being overly safe. NEver dealt with a crack in a saw before. So I didn't know what to expect. Now I know more about it! Thanks for letting me know your thoughts guys! Travis I still have the two 064's. The last one I got from you I think has an oil pump issue. Other than that the list of saws is growing!

Latest posts

Back