Homelite 245 .325 pitch chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpotter0912

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A nice little homelite 245 followed me home today. Runs fine, but the chain was toast. So I get it on the bench and start tearing it down, I find it's got a .325 bar nose, and an 8 pin. This seems insane to me on a 40cc saw. It's a homelite bar and what I think is a homelite number stamped in the drum. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220405-214740_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220405-214740_Facebook.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220405_204225.jpg
    20220405_204225.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
A 7 tooth sprocket would be better for general use. I don't see a problem with .325, as long as it's not full chisel or the depth gauges have been aggressively ground.
Why not full chisel? Does it not cut more efficiently than semi chisel? I don't run semi chisel on anything. When I look up parts I find only an 8 pin .325 sprocket or 6 pin 3/8LP sprocket for this saw.

Why not full chisel? Does it not cut more efficiently than semi chisel? I don't run semi chisel on anything. When I look up parts I find only an 8 pin .325 sprocket or 6 pin 3/8LP sprocket for this saw.
Nothing wrong with really sharp super chisel. My experience with it on 35-40cc saws is that once it's even slightly blunted in dirty timber, what was a stream of chips becomes a sawdust shower.

Hard telling why they did it. My 245 has the 3/8 LP. I put the louvered muffler cover on it and took out the baffles. Runs pretty damn good.

Hard telling why they did it. My 245 has the 3/8 LP. I put the louvered muffler cover on it and took out the baffles. Runs pretty damn good.
I do plan to muffler mod it. Maybe just being a lower RPM torquey engine vs the higher revving engines of today means it'll pull the 8 pin. But I mean, they offered it so it ought to. I put a brand new Stihl RS chain on it tonight, tomorrow I'll open up the muffler and see what it does.

Back