Homelite 360 hard starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjh

Reaction score
got a 360 a week or so ago & tried to get it running. I noticed that with the plug out it turns over fairly easily, but with the plug in it is a bear to pull. After 10-15 pulls it fired over for about 10 seconds, but I shut it down as I was in my garage.

Is there supposed to be a pressure release for starting?

Hey there. I can't really help you with your problem. I just got a 360 myself. It was fussy and wouldn't run when I got it. But after cleaning and adjusting the carb, she runs real good.

Anyway, I am just posting to tell you that if you need a owners manual for your 360, you can get one for free from Homelite. Just call their 800 number and talk to tech dept. I just got mine in the mail today. I am excited.

john

The new Stihl saws are a bit more touchy about starting it seems. Usually they fire after a couple of pulls on full choke, then you have to pull about four more times on modified choke, or run, position. But in any case, go to Madsen's web site and there are detailed instructions on how to adjust a carb.

http://www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

Then he should be happy, that means good compression and power. However, 10-15 pulls tells me that its more than compression that's slowing down the start on that saw.

Well, he could soft-set the carb to 1 ccw on the L and H and that would be eliminated... Or spray the carb and see if it fires immediately vs an air leak...

Can we get a comression reading? If you can barely pull it and you have 130 lbs of pressure...

That would cut the saw in half for us.

* Can you overtighten a seal?
* Timing/ignition
* Clutch bolts digging into the clutch-guard (look for the shavings on the blade)

It would be possible the spark is too weak unless you really get that rotor spinning?

We need more help to help you more eh?

Thanks for all the input guys, I haven't had a chance to look at it since my last posting, I don't think it is a physical object dragging on the flywheel or clutch, as it seems to turn over (pull) much easier with the plug out. I'll check the carb setting & look at the spark, but I think It checked it with the plug out and grounded for a visual.

I'll keep you all posted.

I'm no mechanic but I read a lot. I read somewhere if you don't have the proper amount of pullrope that makes it harder to pull. More leverage and such. I may just be having one of my spells, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Back