Homelite 360 Transformer, where?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley P

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After searching the forums I've come to the conclusion that I have a bad "transformer" on my Homelite 360. I've searched the net and can't seem to find one, not even on Epay! Can someone give me some hope??

Here's the long story. It's actually my father-in-law's saw, he quit using it because he couldn't get anyone to fix it. I told him I'd fix it if he'd let me use it, and I took it apart months ago to find rotten rubber lines and carb boot. I replaced all that and got it running long enough to know it cuts pretty good and gets heavy after about 30 minutes! lol! But lately I wanted to get some wood cut and it only ran for a day or so and lost spark. The transformer (I'd call it a coil) ohm'd shorted, so here I am begging for help finding one, preferably cheap too! :)

Thanks.

The 330 almost a good saw but it has a million parts to it. You would be better off selling it on Ebayy and getting a good Jonsered. you can check ebay, I think some are listed there.
Even if you do fix all of this it still going to be like my 944 Always fixing and never driving
It will let you down just when you need it the most

Keep looking Ashley P you'll find one and with propper maintence it won't let you down. Other than the carb boots these were some of the better fire wood saws Homelite built. They are a little heavy, but they are well built saws.

Like blackoak says, don't give up. They pop up on eBay, just have to be patient.

Dan

Yes Homelite did make a good saw way back when but so did Henry Ford
the problem with Homelite was development came to an end. They thought a saw could not be made any better.
Henry thought the car could.
And like a new car a will made chainsaw will make life easy.
I am in my 60ies and my Husqvarna 357xp and I can out cut all you young kids and I will still have energy left over for when the lights go out.
My only heat for the house for winter is a wood burning stove. You think I would risk staying warm with a Homelite?

Is this a Homelite 330 or a 360? My mother has a 330 for sale. I recently tuned it and it runs strong. I've never seen a Homey 360, but there are a lot of things I have never seen.

Hotsaw said:
Yes Homelite did make a good saw way back when but so did Henry Ford
the problem with Homelite was development came to an end. They thought a saw could not be made any better.
Henry thought the car could.
And like a new car a will made chainsaw will make life easy.
I am in my 60ies and my Husqvarna 357xp and I can out cut all you young kids and I will still have energy left over for when the lights go out.
My only heat for the house for winter is a wood burning stove. You think I would risk staying warm with a Homelite?
This person is looking for a transformer for a 360 Homelite, and like me, I'm sure could care less about what you can do with your Husky. I didn't know Henry Ford made chainsaws. Stay warm Old Man

So, I gather I've gotta look for a used transformer because no one has "new" ones on the self? I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Regarding "Hotsaw", SURELY a 60 yo isn't spouting such ignorance on the internet. Newer is better?? Then if you're 60 I'm better... :p :cool:

Ashley, try eBayware, and be sure to check the eBay stores. There are at least two eBay stores that list a lot of obsolete Homelite parts (and if you find a carb from a Homelite 550 let me know).

Hotsaw, glad to hear that you're happy with the 357XP. For some of us that aren't reliant on a saw to help keep us warm, getting & keeping the old saws running is fun. As for the "energy after the lights go out," well, that's certainly another way to keep warm. My hat's off to you.

Chris J.

Oops...forgot to say...Welcome aboard!!

KnotWhole, I've looked and looked over the last week on the net and have come up completely empty, thus my attendence here. I'll keep looking or make something else work. I am keeping my house warm with this saw, but as a mechanically inclined (at least I hope so :) ) auto tech I've got the skills to keep old stuff running for cheap, usually. :rolleyes: Through this site I found the specs on the coil resistance and if I can't find a new one soon I'm going to try to find a similarly wired coil and adapt it to this saw, or read about coils and wind my own from scratch.

Oh, I'm glad to be here.

I have done things like that

If you have any "saw shops" around, they usually have a shed full of "parts saws". You might luck onto one that way.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention. I am like you, I don't give up so easy either.

Since it is probably running breaker points, things are not so critical. You could actually re-wind it. Or better, cobble another coil from a similar engine in there. The position, gap to flywheel, length of pole pieces are what to look for. It isn't rocket science, it is a magneto. Engine only needs a sufficient spark at the correct time.

Good luck!

-Pat

It's not a breaker system. I'm pretty ignorant small engine wise, but it looks like the A/C voltage goes from the "magneto" looking thing to the coil, AKA "transformer". I just ohm'd a car coil at .6 ohm compared to the Homelite stat I saw here on AS of .5 ohm. Now, whether or not the Homelite runs it's coil on A/C voltage or not, and whether or not an automotive coil will operate on A/C without frying out is yet to be seen.

I'm also contemplating taking a complete system from another small engine and adapting tit.

Do you think a 12v car battery, car (racing) capacitive discharge ignition box, and coil could be carried on a backpack while I'm cutting?? j/k :cry:

They came with a Electronic, two piece, CD type magneto. Look up "Homelite ignition module" from time to time. Also; this was a neat saw for odd reasons. A Homelite broke the 8k working rpm barrier I think. :blob2: I mean two years before this model they produced saws that weighed a pound less and 25 more cc ... puzzling. 5 years after this saw they dropped the weight 3 pounds with a small power compromise with the 330 but the 360 used a "module" I believe.

Homelites are forgiving to a degree; I just would not play too much with this model though there is a nice one recently listed on e-pay. I think I would be real careful and patient.

BTW, when a coil is in series it is a filter to a degree as it opposes a change in current. But if you put two side by side you have a transformer primary and secondary. This is AC exclusively. If your first coil has 10 windings and your second coil has 100 windings you have a 10:1 step up transformer and all AC will be 10x greater voltage. If you can count the windings you can make one. Break out the varnish, you cant go too wrong it's already broke? I would have to be bored tho. If I find your part I'll post it.

Last edited:
The part had #10236-00-A imprinted on it, BTW.

Bugfart, could I pick your brain on the coil? I understand auto coils that are DC driven. How is the Homelite different? I had to break it apart to look at it, but it appears the windings are not strands of copper, but bands of copper. It's wide and flat windings. I've not had a chance to disect it any further.

Auto coils are not exactly DC driven, the primary circuity is made and broken by the points, which creates a fluxuating field, which drives the voltage in the secondary windings. All transformers need the fluctuation in the electric field in order to work.

you might try ordertree for the part (coil)

I notice that saw has the "coil" mounted on top of the spark plug, and they are referring to it as a transformer.... A little bit different set-up than most saws

If the ignition coil is the same as the one from a DM50 multi saw, I've got one of those here.

Latest posts

Back