Homelite 550 Intake Boot Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user635

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I recently picked up a Homelite 550 for $60 that had been abandoned with the air cleaner cover missing and the carb removed. Digging into it, I found the intake boot had completely rotted away. I got a new boot and installed it, but the saw surges when it revs.

My question: does the boot go completely under the metal plate, or does the upper half with the slotted ears get pulled above the plate and mate directly with the carb? The manual isn't too clear.

Thanks for your time. This site has been valuable over the year for tech info.

Jim

Sorry, I'm out of town at the moment, otherwise would get some good pics for you. The sotted ears do get pulled above the place and that makes a good seal with the carb. I have found that the saws benefit from a cork gasket under the carb to seal it in better. I had surging issues too until I added the cork gasket. Hope my low quality pic helps.
3c9b95d26c648ca6fd65baa9719a3057.jpg

Thanks M&H, The pic looks like a 360, but I guess the principle is the same. I have mine tucked below the metal plate and it surges. I'll pull it above the plate and see how it runs.

Thanks,
Jim

Sorry, I'm out of town at the moment, otherwise would get some good pics for you. The sotted ears do get pulled above the place and that makes a good seal with the carb. I have found that the saws benefit from a cork gasket under the carb to seal it in better. I had surging issues too until I added the cork gasket. Hope my low quality pic helps.
3c9b95d26c648ca6fd65baa9719a3057.jpg

Yeah, it's kinda tricky the way they designed it. You are correct, is a 350. Should work quite a bit better with the boot above the metal plate. I think... I assume they are all the same series and quit similar in design. Sorry I didn't have any better pics, be sure to let us know if that solves the problem.

M&H,

That was it, thanks for the pic! Sorry for the late reply, I just found the time to try it out.

Jim

Yeah, it's kinda tricky the way they designed it. You are correct, is a 350. Should work quite a bit better with the boot above the metal plate. I think... I assume they are all the same series and quit similar in design. Sorry I didn't have any better pics, be sure to let us know if that solves the problem.

M&H,

That was it, thanks for the pic! Sorry for the late reply, I just found the time to try it out.

Jim
Hey no problem. I'm just glad my low quality pic could help you. That series of Homelite's is really a really nice saw. Hopefully it will give you many more years of reliable service.

Back