Homelite 650 oil pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Saw is a little smoky while running, and I get the feeling that the oil pump would be worthing checking out. Looks to have 4 o-rings that seal it off from the crankcase--not unlike an 051 or 075 Stihl.

Anyway, my question is how do you remove this oil pump. All the info I have suggests that it pulls straight out the front of the saw, but it doesn't want to budge. Tried threading a long screw in throught the front of the pump with no luck. I get the feeling I'll have to remove the gas tank to get directly at the pump and pry it out from the side.

Any advice/tips on this?

Chris B.

Hi Chris,
You are right about the pump, it should pull out of the front. The front retainer is all that holds it in, at least as best as I can tell from the IPL. There is a cam pin, but it looks to be internal. I'll look at mine after I'm home this eveing to be sure. You may try to fabricate a simple puller using your idea of threading a bolt in the front. Maybe try making a U-shaped brace with the top of the U such it rests against the housing, drill a hole in the bottom of the U to run a bolt through, run a nut down on the bolt before inserting it into the U, then run it through and tighten into the pump. Turn the nut then until its jam with the U brace and then turn with a wrench to hopefully pull it out. The O-rings are probably just stuck and once they're broken free it will likely pull out.

Good luck,
Dan

Here's a pic of my 650's oiler. There's nothing I can see holding it in except the retainer in the front. Hopefully you will have success rigging some sort of puller to extract it.

Best of luck,
Dan

attachment.php

I have a simpler puller in mind. I'll pass a bolt through a piece of flat and thread it completely into the oiler. The flat will rest against the saw. On bolt, outboard of the flat, I'll put on a wingnut which will act as a puller when tightened. Ought to work just fine.

BTW, that's a clean looking saw.

Thanks for the pic, Chris B.

Sounds great Chris. I hope you find the problem with the oiler and that its nothing more than some crud that needs cleaning up. Parts for these saws seem almost impossible to come by (or at least the parts I end up needing!)

Dan

Back