Homelite 7-29 rehab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the latest. I'm still waiting on carby gaskets from Joe. However, I found these today at a local shop.

First, a brand-spanking NOS HP19B carburetor for this saw. What are the odds? Dealer was as surprised as I was. I just took a list of all the part numbers I could find pertaining to the carb parts and he found the old Tilly.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Second, a NOS belt for the old girl, part# 73216. Not cheap at $50. But where the hell else am I going to find it? Mine's still in good shape, but you never know.
attachment.php

Also, he had a NOS crankcase half with bearings and a seal. I found a crack in mine after assembly and this guy had it also. I don't know if I cracked it when I installed the bearings or maybe the crack was one reason for it's original poor performance. Plus, a couple cap gaskets, and a couple gasket sets (no diaphragms) for the HP carby.

All in all, a very good parts haul.

This old girl should be up and running tomorrow.

Chris B.

So that's what an HP19 goes on...

I bought a few tillys on ebay in a lot and there was one of those in there. I sold it becuase I had no idea what it went on.

Saw's looking great!

Fantastic haul of parts you got there Chris. They must be some of the rarer parts out there to find so you have done really really well. That 7-29 will be one sweet saw when you get her rumbling again - one of the best things about it will be knowing that she is mechanically sound with all of those nice NOS parts you have found to rebuild her.

Great thread - I really enjoy hearing about these big saw builds and stories!

:cheers:

Chris

Thanks all. Tomorrow should be blast-off day, hopefully not blow-up day. I just need to get new speed nuts and screws for the cylinder shroud and I'll be finished. I still want Joe to come thru with the HP kits. My original carby still needs to be rebuilt.

The dealer I got the parts from has a few more of the belts. I may go back and get another for the future. If anybody here wants one, I can pick it up.

Chris B.

attachment.php

A lot of time and effort put into the saw can't wait to hear your report on start up day, are you going to post a video on youtube?

A lot of time and effort put into the saw can't wait to hear your report on start up day, are you going to post a video on youtube?

Not with a dial-up connection that is more finicky that a Mac chainsaw! (sorry for the cheapshot, I love my Mc550)

When, and if I do video I'll get it to my brother's for upload.

Chris B.

Not with a dial-up connection that is more finicky that a Mac chainsaw! (sorry for the cheapshot, I love my Mc550)

When, and if I do video I'll get it to my brother's for upload.

Chris B.

Very nice:clap:
Look forward to the vid (if you do one):cheers:

Is it better to be smart or lucky? After a minute or two of priming and cranking, the saw took on a life of its own. No more smoking and no more wacky idle. It sure was a pain, however, bolting on the carby. The brass fittings on the crankcase and the carb for the copper pulse line didn't line up, so I had undo the carb assembly 4 or 5 times before I got the alignment right. And then I had to undo it again to get the carby sawchip shield back in place.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now I need some big wood to properly run in the old girl. These pecker poles I'm cutting here don't even register. Engine is running a bit rich, but that's better than too lean. Before the rebuild, the engine would sometimes race way past the governed limit. I could only stop it by running the carb so rich, you couldn't breathe for all the smoke. That's not happening anymore. Part of that problem was due to the fact the carb fuel pump diaphragm and gasket were in the wrong order, part to the loose bearings.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Chris B.

Latest posts

Back