Homelite 8800, do I need one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Homelite 8800, do I need one? Pics Now!

Okay, so I'm sort of in the market for a bigger saw. (Have an ms260 and cut 7 or 8 cords of firewood each year.) I don't really need it, but it would be nice for the occasional bigger tree and noodling some gnarly elm rounds and such.

Today I stopped at a pawn/junk store that moved into a new location and is now a furniture store since my wife said she saw some saws there last week. Found a Homelite 8800 that looks basically new. A little paint off the bar, but the body looks new, clean and pristine. Guy said they are not allowed to sell used stuff in their new store so they are selling off the old dead-pawn. I asked if it had been around long and he looked it up--2 years. Price is $190. UT10810 is the model number. He said I could start it up, so I may head over there and put in some fresh gas and give it a shot.

So...is this a good "useable" saw--or a collector's item? What should I be looking for when I check it out? I'm a teacher and a wood-burner, not the high level saw doctor that many of you are. All opinions welcome!

Last question, if I buy it, and compression and such is good (I can bring it in and have it checked) does anyone need one so badly that they'd trade for something else that might better fit my needs?

I'll post more (pictures) after I get back there in a day or two.

Thanks!

Last edited:
CRAP!!!
Be there in the morning when the place opens up!!!

Do you need that saw?
LOL!!!
Probably not right now.

But if ya knew what the saw is about, you would.:hmm3grin2orange:

On the bright side, if it's as nice as you say, you can get your $$ back and then some if you don't like it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It is a good thing I have a training event today. Otherwise, I would be calling every pawn shop in NM trying to find that saw. You need to buy it, and if you don't, please pass on the info so one of us can.

Agreed, pull the trigger on the saw. You will be very impressed with it's performance. Guido Salvage will be along anytime to comment, he has one that he's had since new. If you choose not to keep it as a "go to saw", you will recoup your investment, as others here have stated. Good luck. Best, Max.:cheers:

If its in good shape, 190 is a steal. They are a very nice running saw and easy to work on. Only problem is finding certain parts can be a little tricky, but stuff is still out there if you're willing to be patient and search.

Dan

Picked this up today!

I put some fresh gas in and it started on the 2nd pull. Seems to run well--a bit smokier and hotter than I'm used to. Probably needs some tuning.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Guido Salvage will be along anytime to comment, he has one that he's had since new.

Actually mine is a 540 that I bought new.

PioneerP-20Poulan361001.jpg

As the others have said, you made the right choice in getting the saw. If you want something smaller, I am certainly willing to trade!

Last edited:
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Woohooo!!!!!

Homie rescue!!!

Congrats on the new saw!!

It looks like it mighta been used half a dozen times and then parked.
A tweak here and there and it should last ya forever.

I reckon good things still happen to good folks.
Ya must be living right.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

here's a vid:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K8zvjFYFpyM?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K8zvjFYFpyM?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I know this thread is old, but I tell ya what. That has to be about the best looking plastic saw I have ever seen.

Latest posts

Back