Homelite bar alignment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mp5n

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm upgrading my C-71 with a large Stihl pattern 36" roller tip bar, .404 .063 skip. One thing I noticed is the centerline of the bar studs don't line up with the crank centerline. A quick measurement shows they're about 5/32 below the crank. Is this the case with different make saws?

My plan with the larger mount bar is to make a filler plate which will ride in the slot. The plate will be shorter than the slot by the amount of adjustment. I can drill the holes staggered in this filler plate to bring the centerline of the bar to the center of the crank. This will also allow the oil hole to match up nicely.

I'm thinking this should reduce the amount of friction the chain is going to see on the bottom (tension) side. The nose of the bar will end up sitting around 1 1/2" lower, but the bar on these saws already rides pretty high at the end when the saw is resting on the base. The down side I see would be that this wouldn't be as tolerant to a loose running chain.

If anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know. If I find this is the norm with other saws I won't change anything.

Thanks in advance,
MP5N

Latest posts

Back