Homelite Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GPH85 said:
Someone may have put it on the carb later, since there were threads on the carbs to do this. BUT the brass screw on the back of the saw states it plainly!!!

This is a C91 with optionaly auto oiler and an after market handle bar. AS stated saw has more than likely been crushed "new flywheel air shroud and different (C71) over running bearing rewind assembly", so more than likely handle bar was also totaled at this time and also replaced, BUT as stated you do have a C91. BORE and STROKE would 100% answer the question, but the C91 was the only saw with this outer shelling to have this idle adjustment...

I just discovered something.

My C-91 dosent have this brass screw.

All this talk about these old brutes made me pull mine out from under the bench and do some tinkering with the carb. Got it al back together and shes a runner! But now the points are dirty and the spark is weak, still runs but only With a .015 plug gap, Gotta clean the points next.

Anyway, I thought of this thread and looked and found no brass screw, no hole for one.

Could it be that some had this and some didnt?

OK, now ya got me wondering... Here's what my IPL for the C51, C71 and C91 says...

SCREW Idle - See Note 1 & 2
Note 1 - Service Replacement Carburetor #A-59427-A supplied with idle stop screw and spring which must be removed when external idle adjustment screw (#30) is used. Refer to Carburetor Parts List 23904 for repair parts
Note 2 - Service Replacement Handle #A-59496-1 supplied with screw plug (#35). Remove to install external idle adjusting screw (#36)

So with this being plainly stated in the IPL's, I'm assuming only the later made C91's had this idle adjustment? New one to me. Thanks for pointing out this detail... I know my C91 has it and at time's it's a pain in the butt, because it loses it's setting fairly easily "not enough spring tension", so possibly why it's not on other saws and also maybe why it was only used for a short time on certain C91's?

Who really knows, right :dizzy:

Back