Homelite Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I just traded three aluminum wheels for a Homelite Limited Edition Super XL. Should I use the parts off the limited edition and put them in my old super xl? I like the old stuff a lot better.

Back to the other saw. The handle on the oiler side seems to have been welded on the top part that goes out to the extra oiler. I will go out and see if I can clean around the cylinder to see if I can find any numbers. Oh by the way, I picked this saw and another Homelite 5-20 up for $60 for the two of them. What a deal!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

RaisedByWolves said:
Yep Steve, that was me.

If you can measure the bore it would give us another avenew to help identify this saw. But if you remove the cylinder to measure the bore, you could give us the numbers from the base, were you ever able to find the numbers on the cylinder base?

They should be right behind the rear portion of the oiler tank, if you get in there with a tooth brush and some carb cleaner you may be able to read them without removing the cyl.:cheers:

I found the number 58174-A. I hope this will help

RaisedByWolves said:
Yep Steve, that was me.

If you can measure the bore it would give us another avenew to help identify this saw. But if you remove the cylinder to measure the bore, you could give us the numbers from the base, were you ever able to find the numbers on the cylinder base?

They should be right behind the rear portion of the oiler tank, if you get in there with a tooth brush and some carb cleaner you may be able to read them without removing the cyl.:cheers:

I found the number :clap: It is 58174-A

Not necessarily true...

The C91 also had the cylinder #58174-A even though it was suppost to be labeled #58174-A1. Really all Homelite C-Series saws had the #58174-A cylinder with different bore diameters being all that made them different. Now I'm sure when you ordered a replacement cylinder you needed the -A1 for the C9's and C91's so they would know which one to give you for the bigger bore, but as stated, they all came from the factory with #58174-A cylinders with the bigger bore on the C9's, C9G's, C91's and C91G's cylinders. I don't know why they didn't label them with the -A1 from the factory, but they didn't... I've got a C9 cylinder beside me right now with the #58174-A cylinder before anyone calls me crazy or wrong... I know the C-Series saws inside and out...

The main way to tell that it is truely a C91, since it's the only Homelite ever made with this feature and with this outer shelling is to look at the idle adjustment. If it's a C91 it will have an idle adjuster just inbetween the kill switch and the upper handle bar section. If it's any other saw, it won't have this adjuster...

Also the C91 had the over running bearing setup for the starter. The rewind will look fairly flat with this setup and if you look just underneath the air shroud fins you should notice a rather large diameter shaft going over the crank. Most XP's, I know of, had the regular "old style" starter dogs and a starter cup setup. The C91 didn't have the starter cup or any of this like the XP's...

Hope this is all of use...
Greg

GPH85 said:
Not necessarily true...

The C91 also had the cylinder #58174-A even though it was suppost to be labeled #58174-A1. Really all Homelite C-Series saws had the #58174-A cylinder with different bore diameters being all that made them different. Now I'm sure when you ordered a replacement cylinder you needed the -A1 for the C9's and C91's so they would know which one to give you for the bigger bore, but as stated, they all came from the factory with #58174-A cylinders with the bigger bore on the C9's, C9G's, C91's and C91G's cylinders. I don't know why they didn't label them with the -A1 from the factory, but they didn't... I've got a C9 cylinder beside me right now with the #58174-A cylinder before anyone calls me crazy or wrong... I know the C-Series saws inside and out...

The main way to tell that it is truely a C91, since it's the only Homelite ever made with this feature and with this outer shelling is to look at the idle adjustment. If it's a C91 it will have an idle adjuster just inbetween the kill switch and the upper handle bar section. If it's any other saw, it won't have this adjuster...

Also the C91 had the over running bearing setup for the starter. The rewind will look fairly flat with this setup and if you look just underneath the air shroud fins you should notice a rather large diameter shaft going over the crank. Most XP's, I know of, had the regular "old style" starter dogs and a starter cup setup. The C91 didn't have the starter cup or any of this like the XP's...

Hope this is all of use...
Greg

Thank you for that information. I'm going to attach another picture of my saw, maybe this will help.

It does have the C-Series styling of rewind assembly (Fairly flat with a slight outward convexity to it). The XP's were nearly completely flat and some with an inward dip in them "like the 1050's and so on".

I can also say that this saw has more than likely had the air shroud and rewind assembly completely crushed on it. I'm saying this because the air shroud has been replaced "why you can't find the ID plaque" and it has the wrong colored rewind assembly on it "should be green instead of red"... When these saws are crushed or have something fall on them, it is very common for these items to be busted... ALSO most, but not all, of the XP's had a third hole in the side of the housing for adjusting the idle, because they had a very unique idle control setup. They would bypass the crankcase and deliver the majority of the fuel straight to the combustion chamber during idle...

Still no pictures of the idle screw though???

Hope this is of more assistance.
Greg

GPH85 said:
It does have the C-Series styling of rewind assembly (Fairly flat with a slight outward convexity to it). The XP's were nearly completely flat and some with an inward dip in them "like the 1050's and so on".

I can also say that this saw has more than likely had the air shroud and rewind assembly completely crushed on it. I'm saying this because the air shroud has been replaced "why you can't find the ID plaque" and it has the wrong colored rewind assembly on it "should be green instead of red"... When these saws are crushed or have something fall on them, it is very common for these items to be busted... ALSO most, but not all, of the XP's had a third hole in the side of the housing for adjusting the idle, because they had a very unique idle control setup. They would bypass the crankcase and deliver the majority of the fuel straight to the combustion chamber during idle...

Still no pictures of the idle screw though???

Hope this is of more assistance.
Greg

The idle set screw is on the carb itself underneath the airfilter. Try this picture

Someone may have put it on the carb later, since there were threads on the carbs to do this. BUT the brass screw on the back of the saw states it plainly!!!

This is a C91 with optionaly auto oiler and an after market handle bar. AS stated saw has more than likely been crushed "new flywheel air shroud and different (C71) over running bearing rewind assembly", so more than likely handle bar was also totaled at this time and also replaced, BUT as stated you do have a C91. BORE and STROKE would 100% answer the question, but the C91 was the only saw with this outer shelling to have this idle adjustment...

GPH85 said:
Someone may have put it on the carb later, since there were threads on the carbs to do this. BUT the brass screw on the back of the saw states it plainly!!!

This is a C91 with optionaly auto oiler and an after market handle bar. AS stated saw has more than likely been crushed "new flywheel air shroud and different (C71) over running bearing rewind assembly", so more than likely handle bar was also totaled at this time and also replaced, BUT as stated you do have a C91. BORE and STROKE would 100% answer the question, but the C91 was the only saw with this outer shelling to have this idle adjustment...

Talk about a wealth of knowledge.......

RaisedByWolves said:
Talk about a wealth of knowledge.......

no kidding, I'm loving this. I'm finding out more about this saw than I ever thought I would. I really appricate eveything you gentlemen have done.:cheers:

I don't by any means claim to know everything, but the Homelite C-Series saws I try to know what I can and then any knowledge I can gain from others on the other saws, the better, right :D

Why, just up until recently I wasn't 100% sure that Homelite actually made any true C5G, C7G, C9G and so on, until I saw pics of a true C5G with (G) decaling. Just goes to show, you learn something everyday around here :)

Happy Thanksgiving.
Greg

I had a blue C5 that was 4.7 CI and a red XP1000 that was 6.1 CI. they were both beasts to cut with. Very loud and shook your teeth but they were very impressive. Both were torque monsters!

Hey Greg,

Could we see a bigger picture of the saw you have as your avitar.

Steve's saw has a rear handle like a big XP saw but the cylinder number is wrong. The big 100cc saws have a cylinder part number (2 3/16 bore) A-63661 (according to my parts diagram for my XP 1130 which also has diagrams for the XP1020). The Super 1050 and the Super 1130G had a cylinder # A-69712-A. Not sure if those number are the actual numbers stamped on the part though.

Sure... Like I said though, all of the Homelite C-Series saws came from the factory with the 58174-A cylinder. Not sure why they didn't label the bigger bore saws with the -A1 profile like they should have been, but they didn't...

Here some pics of the C9 that's pictured as my avatar... I wish I had some pics of what it looks like now with its 44" bar (pictured with 36" bar). I also have the original green colored rewind assembly on it now too... This isn't a true C9G, just a C9 with the optional gear drive ;)

Here's what a brand new C91 looked like...

Then here's a pic of my own personal C91. You'll probably notice that it's got the wrong colored rewind assembly. I believe it's off of a C71, but everything else is original...

Then here's my C7... Not the best pic, but you can kinda see the basic differences and you should also notice that it's got a Super 1050 bar cover. I've got the right one for it, but I'de rather bust this one "worst case scenario" over the bar cover for the saw...

Then here's my C5, the most restored of my C-Series saws and quite a runner on top of that :D

Then here's my C51...

Don't have any pics of my NOS C72 yet, because it hasn't arrived. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be here :D Probably will get new pics of all of the saws, next weekend ;)

Seriously... You can't see them? Hmmm they apear fine for me, but that doesn't mean that they are working for anyone else right...

Sorry. I also know of no way to fix the problem. Thoughts, Opinions?

Thanks,
Greg

Latest posts

Back