Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look what followed me home Friday... Do you think he'll grow up into a six-fiddy some day?

attachment.php

Even came with a birth certificate...:msp_wink:

attachment.php

What was the original intent of something so small???
12' bar... Runs quite good now though...
Cleaned up nice too...

More Homelite pics to keep Randy at bay...

photobucket-33083-1340611743486.jpg

photobucket-36129-1340611745073.jpg

photobucket-12013-1340611747228.jpg

photobucket-33063-1340611731862.jpg

photobucket-30149-1340611732916.jpg

photobucket-29202-1340611736084.jpg

The Randy 1050 is now a runner. Replaced fuel lines inside and out. Yahoo prior owner had used automotive vacuum line and it had swelled terribly. Filter had dropped off into the tank. Rebuilt carb. Was full of sawdust. Those SDC's are a paint to reinstall. Can't get a tool on the bottom/left screw. Single needle fixed H-side SDC carb. Even though it runs fine now, I may swap a Tillotson HL setup onto the saw. I don't like fixed H-side carbs. This carb isn't original. The carb box has the hole and grommet for the third 'idle adjust' needle used on later Tillotson HL equipped saw in this series. My guess is that somebody 'upgraded' an HL equipped saw with the SDC kit available from Homelite.

Replaced the starter rope and starter handle and straightened the cracked muffler shield as much as I could. P/C look fantastic through the port. Lots of compression, and will bite you if you don't pull like you mean it. Discovered the one big flaw with the saw.........the crankcase is busted where the left lower handlebar mounts. The bolt still threads in, but it doesn't have much purchase and it 'cocks' and binds before the bolt is tight. It's useable, but not cool. The prior owner replaced a few of the tank mounting screws with crappy hardware store screws. I replaced them with screws from a parts C-5. There are also two tank cover screws which need replacing. Somebody ran self tapping screws into two holes (you can see one in a pic above). Not good. I'll probably have to reseal the tank at some point, as somebody sealed it with light blue water pump application RTV...

Overall, it's a nice, low time saw. It has a spur sprocket (.404-8). Never seen a spur on the 6.1ci Homelites before. They're in the IPL's though. Has a nice 31" Oregon RN bar.

Last edited:
Look what followed me home Friday... Do you think he'll grow up into a six-fiddy some day?

attachment.php

Even came with a birth certificate...:msp_wink:

attachment.php

What was the original intent of something so small???
12' bar... Runs quite good now though...
Cleaned up nice too...

Mostly was intended to trim small limbs from trees in a homeowner setting would be my guess. They're good for that purpose.

Mostly was intended to trim small limbs from trees in a homeowner setting would be my guess. They're good for that purpose.

The term "good" might be a little pollyanna...
I'm thinking "adequate" for cutting 2x4's on a construction site...

It's in such good shape, I was thinking of just setting it on a shelf in the shop...
Maybe it'll magically turn into a six-fiddy...
:msp_sneaky:

Honestly, I kinda think it has character...

Last edited:
The term "good" might be a little pollyanna...
I'm thinking "adequate" for cutting 2x4's on a construction site...

It's in such good shape, I was thinking of just setting it on a shelf in the shop...
Maybe it'll magically turn into a six-fiddy...
:msp_sneaky:

Honestly, I kinda think it has character...

It all depends on how you tune the little fellas and how sharp your chain is. I've had them before that were more than adequate for their intended purpose. You can't expect them to be like an 066 Stihl or the like...

Got a little done today my pair on 995s. The 995G just needed the bar cleaned and the chain sharpened--and something to cut! The 995D was a little funkier. After I rebuilt it, the thing ran OK. The next time I fired it up, it kept leaning out. Pulled the carby off twice and ultimately had to reset the metering lever a couple times. I also replaced all the intake gaskets that I thought were OK, but looked marginal at second glance. In the end, it appears this particular carby is real finicky about adjustments. Generally speaking, these saws run well so long as the settings are in the ballpark. Not so much this saw. Once I find a suitable chunk of wood, we'll see how sorted out they are.

I had also cleaned up the white death on the drive side of the 995G. Yes, I realize the green shade is off but I had to paint it with something and I'd rather it be the wrong shade of green than the wrong shade of white.

Maybe tomorrow I'll dive into my no spark 9-26.

Chris B.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think I caught it from both sides by using the term "good". Maybe I can come up with another word. I've actually had several of those little saws, have one right now and I have this one tuned to where it'll hum out the rpms pretty well. Cuts well also. If I had a tree down in my yard I wouldn't mind at all gassing it up and going out and cutting it up...until I got to the trunk, then I'd go for some bigger hardware.

Notice I replaced "good" with "well".

Tips on replacing the oil line (from the tank to the oiler) on a 330

Cut through a tree today and when I was done my bar was smoking. Took it back to the garage and my oil line was spliced and wore out. I think I have a decent idea on replacing it. Anyone here even replaced one on a 330? Didn't know if there was a simple trick to it. Thanks

I think I caught it from both sides by using the term "good". Maybe I can come up with another word. I've actually had several of those little saws, have one right now and I have this one tuned to where it'll hum out the rpms pretty well. Cuts well also. If I had a tree down in my yard I wouldn't mind at all gassing it up and going out and cutting it up...until I got to the trunk, then I'd go for some bigger hardware.

Notice I replaced "good" with "well".

Sorry dude, I was just picking on my little "find"...
It does actually cut and run "well"... :rock:

Is that plastic or metal? I got one of those XLs (plastic one) and it will only fires with carb cleaner. Eaither needs a new line or a good carb clean. Picked it up at a garage sale with a Super 2 that ran. Payed $20 for the pair. No bars tho. Need to find new sprockets too.

Is that plastic or metal? I got one of those XLs (plastic one) and it will only fires with carb cleaner. Eaither needs a new line or a good carb clean. Picked it up at a garage sale with a Super 2 that ran. Payed $20 for the pair. No bars tho. Need to find new sprockets too.

Its a plastic one... Someone put 2 stroke oil in the gas tank... Did a fine job of preserving the fuel lines... It was 5 bucks...:msp_biggrin:

Its a plastic one... Someone put 2 stroke oil in the gas tank... Did a fine job of preserving the fuel lines... It was 5 bucks...:msp_biggrin:

You got a great deal man. yea the XLs and Super 2s have the chain oil and gas tanks right next to each other. Main rule is to never take both caps off at the same time...I am sure you can figure out why :laugh: Some of them have it engraved on the side of the case which one is which, but some don't.

Might have a 14-16" bar for ya. Lemme look when I get home tonight, if I still have it and its any good, it's yours if you want it.

Latest posts

Back