Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The carb works, i checked it, i took it open and it had working membrane and needle valve etc.

BUT, BUT...

As i started to use "search" function here in AS site, i noticed that i might have the hoses/tubes going wrong and maybe missing the "duck call" valves....So, if any of you happen to have pictures, showing, how the tubes should be going, id like to see em, thank you. I tried to look for pictures of engines but did not find ones showing the lines well.

My saw did not have tubes, so i used my modest brains to connect em, you know :msp_ohmy: .. so can i really connect em so badly, that pulling the starter, will turn something, to suck a LOT of gas, through the carb, to the case & cylinder :biggrin: ?

My saw does Not have ignition points.

242324d1340132037-copy-img_0035-jpg

242325d1340132051-img_0034-jpg

242326d1340132063-img_0036-jpg

The rest of the story....blah, blah, blah

Not sure what the one on my parts saw looks like, but I'll take a look in the AM, and it's yours if it's any good and you need it. Mine's pretty much bare case now, so I'll be able to see how it comes apart pretty easy for ya.

This is the old Homey that followed me home today. Not sure yet if it's a 1000 or 1020, not an auto oiler.

ARRRGH! Pic uploading isn't working for me right now, and it's time for a nap, so I'll give a quick rundown on it and try again with pics tomorrow.

The seller moved here from Idaho years back, and this saw came back with him. It started life as a logger's saw, and the guy gave me the name, but dang if I can remember it right now. The seller looked me up on here, and said he's registered here, maybe he will chime in with the rest of the story. (I have enough trouble listening to people when I'm just talking to them, when I'm looking over a possible new toy, a lot of it comes through my brain as blah, blah, blah :biggrin: ) At any rate, it's been taking up space mostly since he moved here, he's got a newer saw for the limited cutting he does.

It shows the scars from being a work saw, but it seems pretty good mechanically. Compression is real strong, it's complete, all the levers, knobs, etc. work, the bar (shorter than I thought from the pics, 24") is pretty good yet, just needs a little dressing. It's got a Homelite (I think) chain - H in a box logo on the drivers, .404. It's got a rim sprocket on it. Fuel tank empty and clean, the oil tank looked to have some ATF left in it. It looks good enough that I'm gonna dump a little mix in tomorrow just to see if it'll run, and right now I wouldn't bet against it.

The not-so-good: There's a weld (JB Weld maybe) repair on the bottom left crankcase half, but it looks to have been that way for ages, and is probably just as solid as it looks. The bottom of the wrap handlebar has some pretty significant truck rash, with the tube partly worn away on one side. It's missing one attaching screw there, but I didn't look real close to see if it's broken off or just rattled out. The muffler is rotted out in several spots (case and cover). That's all I found so far.

If it doesn't fire off when I try it tomorrow, it will head to the project shed till I get more time (and a couple other in process saws finished), but it's gonna probably be the next one I tackle - it's got plenty of potential compared to some of the future projects in the shed - I might spend more time cleaning some of those saws than this one will take to run (hopefully)

Third time's the charm with pics I guess. They're not really great, taken down in the wood room with poor lighting and flash. I'll try for better ones tomorrow.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lived in St. Maries, Idaho from 1977 to 1986. Got to know the Scott family who had a logging outfit up the Joe, and one day asked Chuck if they had an old saw I could mess with. He showed me two saws, this huge old saw and something newer and smaller like an XL-2. Their dad Walt always liked to keep a saw around the ranch to cut fenceposts and such, but the boys kept taking his new saws out in the woods, and of course they never came back. So Walt thought he'd outsmart them, and had taken this old XP up to Charlie's Saw Shop and got it all reconditioned, thinking they'd never take his old beater. Well I'd never owned a saw before so I picked the shiny little saw, but Chuck stopped me and "made" me pick the XP instead, saying that when ya wanna cut wood, ya wanna cut wood. And it sure did. It came with the bar and chain you see on it, later I had the bar reconditioned at Charlie's, and I never had a problem with oiling. For years I used it to cut firewood in Idaho, then hauled it back to MN with me,and used it to cut up big trees that went down in the yard now and then. Kept waiting for it to blow up so I could get something with as much hp and half the weight, and it never did. Pumps up your forearms tho!!

Lived in St. Maries, Idaho from 1977 to 1986. Got to know the Scott family who had a logging outfit up the Joe, and one day asked Chuck if they had an old saw I could mess with. He showed me two saws, this huge old saw and something newer and smaller like an XL-2. Their dad Walt always liked to keep a saw around the ranch to cut fenceposts and such, but the boys kept taking his new saws out in the woods, and of course they never came back. So Walt thought he'd outsmart them, and had taken this old XP up to Charlie's Saw Shop and got it all reconditioned, thinking they'd never take his old beater. Well I'd never owned a saw before so I picked the shiny little saw, but Chuck stopped me and "made" me pick the XP instead, saying that when ya wanna cut wood, ya wanna cut wood. And it sure did. It came with the bar and chain you see on it, later I had the bar reconditioned at Charlie's, and I never had a problem with oiling. For years I used it to cut firewood in Idaho, then hauled it back to MN with me,and used it to cut up big trees that went down in the yard now and then. Kept waiting for it to blow up so I could get something with as much hp and half the weight, and it never did. Pumps up your forearms tho!!

Welcome! Thanks for telling the story again! I haven't tried to start it up yet, maybe this weekend. My schedule is kinda nuts lately.

The new saws are faster, lighter, and quieter, and fun to run in their own right, but nothing beats the cool factor of the old big inch American saws.

Now run away FAST from this site lest you become infected with CAD (Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder) like the rest of us two stroke junkies here! :laugh:

Randy do you still need those 'other 750 parts' that we talked about? Still working on rounding 'em up for you. I noticed you took them out of your sig line.

I had a spare decomp/throttle lock lever.........but it's spoken for and will be headed north to Fraser next week.:cheers:

Randy do you still need those 'other 750 parts' that we talked about? Still working on rounding 'em up for you. I noticed you took them out of your sig line.

I had a spare decomp/throttle lock lever.........but it's spoken for and will be headed north to Fraser next week.:cheers:

I sure do Aaron. I just wanted to make room for the links to the charity drives. There a lot of saws up for grabs in those.

Homelite saws leaking bar oil on the floor?

I have 2 saws one a XL12 and the other a Super XL Automatic

Both leak bar oil out onto the floor. What is there in the saw that keeps the oil in the tank and how do I fix it?
Would like a service manual and owners manual for thes in PDF if anyone has them
Thanks

I have 2 saws one a XL12 and the other a Super XL Automatic

Both leak bar oil out onto the floor. What is there in the saw that keeps the oil in the tank and how do I fix it?
Would like a service manual and owners manual for thes in PDF if anyone has them
Thanks

Usually those saws don't leak oil. I've only had one of those that ever leaked and it turned out to be a gasket toward the center of the saw. The bolts that held the oiler cover and clutch side main seal on were so loose it allowed the gasket to deteriorate. It's a pretty good sized teardown but I did it so about anyone can...I think I replaced the main seal also since I had it apart.

ive got an xl and xl-2 with manual oiler, I m a little generous some times with the oil pump. :rock:
ive also got enough homelite literature to make any one sick. a few thousand pages worth.

102_4734.jpg

102_4737.jpg

Latest posts

Back