Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I was around 2 1/4 on the low and 1 1/4 on the hi. I started out with 1 1/8 out on both but that was too lean. I also ran a few test runs and checked plug color to make sure it wasn't fooling me.

I will try that. It's just so weird that the hi speed adjustment won't do anything until you completely close it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuning carbs is always an adventure. Maybe your hi needle tip got deformed or there is a slight blockage in the jet or something as simple as a finicky carb. Just keep a eye on your spark plug it will tell you if it is getting enough fuel.

143c02bb9715e2f074e5d9ceb96847fe.jpg

In honor of page 923.

You mentioned a new carb kit. I have had problems before if the lever on the needle to diaphragm adjustment is not correct. Do what the other folks have suggested first. Also check the screen under the pump section that leads to the bottom diaphragm chamber. Sludge/dirt here will prevent the saw from getting enough fuel on the full throttle portion of operation, but it will idle fine. I always pull the bottom diaphragm section off, pull both jets out, don't mix them up, and shoot carb cleaner thru the jet holes. You should have carb cleaner come out in two places each jet, in the venturi and the jet well into the lever chamber.

Weird thing is it will run at full throttle just fine while it is not in wood. Bogs down in wood. This saw has given me fits. Finally bought a used carb on evilbay. Tried it as is. Wouldn't run. Put carb kit in. Runs but won't cut wood. SDC carb.

I put a boot in this saw a few years ago, it was a ebay find, non runner.
I noticed this year the Idle runs up when I tip the saw down, You can hear it in the video. I am going to have to tear into this puppy to see what the deal is.

If I set it down, the idle richens up and comes down. if I pick it up and hold it horizontal it stays fine, Just tipping it down (tanks is full) makes it rev up.

I am going to start with the linkage in the handle, and work my way towards the gas line and Boot.

In the Cut it seems fine.

I hope it is not a case seal But it could be.

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Mike

are you thinking that would seal it up and force a richer mixture, or introduce more fuel and make it run faster yet?

I used to look for vacuum leaks on cars with propane. is this the same priciple,

Miek

are you thinking that would seal it up and force a richer mixture, or introduce more fuel and make it run faster yet?

I used to look for vacuum leaks on cars with propane. is this the same priciple,

Miek
I dont know which of the two it does, but it does cause the engine to either speed up or slow down, and either one points to the seal is leaking. No changes in speed, then you have to look at something else as the problem.

Right on, this saw has always been dead pan reliable. I like this one because of the brake, not many of those 750's had brakes.

As I may have to cut another hole tomorrow. I post up what I find.

(the season ends this weekend) then it will be time to go through the machine.

Man I am hoping it is something simple.

Mike

It was below zero with a nasty wind when I shot that video. maybe is was just super lean due to the cold air.

We have plenty of cold just not enough snow. I have a mess of snow cats here too and sadly they are not needed this year.

More on the XL 901...

I fattened up the low speed mixture and I'm pretty sure it cured me. Both mixture screws are open a rediculous amount and the idle screw is at max. Not the typical ideal situation but it did cure it. Thanks guys and Homelitejim.

I was going to tune some more on it and I broke the wore out chain that came with the saw. First time I've ever done that. That chain slapped that log pretty hard and renewed my interest to keeping my head to the side.

The manual oiler works, but it leaks at the plunger area. Before I tear into that, is it pretty simple in there? Just an o-ring or something?

Latest posts

Back