Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No driver it's not. This is the 2nd carb I've had on it. Gave up on the original one. I'm thinking the original carb might. have worked if I had opened those screws on up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright Dads, what does it mean when the Hi adjustment screw has absolutely no effect when you turn it? My Homie XL 901 (that will be the death of me) idles great and runs great at full throttle until you put it in wood. Then it acts like it starves for fuel and almost dies about 2 seconds into the cut. I figured it needed to run richer. I adjust the hi speed and no effect whatsoever. Has a new carb kit in it.

Will run all day until you put it in wood. Any help would make me sleep better. Thanks!

May mean that your carb is restricted either before or after the H needle. Doesn't matter how much you adjust H out if it's restricted somewhere else.

More on the XL 901...

The manual oiler works, but it leaks at the plunger area. Before I tear into that, is it pretty simple in there? Just an o-ring or something?

Just a couple of "O" rings and a spring.

IPL attached in in case you don't have one.

Attachments

• Homelite-Chain-XL901-IPL-UT-24229[1].pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
One used, one not, color is very different. Heat , sun , fuel mix , they are the same year saw, maybe not the same paint but both are original. I would like to find a good match, getting ready to paint one that is pretty chippy.image.jpg

I put together one of my project XL 925's, it was the only one with a intact fuel line. It started on the third pull and didn't need much adjusting so off to the log deck. This saw is strong, unfortunately the longer I ran it the worse it ran so out came the screwdriver to no avail. Back in the shop I inspect the fuel line and am rewarded with a sticky line of chewed bubblegum like substance. I need to pick up a few feet of new line.

Paint matching can get tricky, especially if you don't plan to paint the entire saw. The darker shade of red used late 60s and before can get close with Ferguson red. The later red which is usually lighter with more orange seems to come in multiple shades. Ford or Chrysler red is close to some, but I've yet to find a single color that matches close enough to do just a single part and feel it matches the rest of a saw. Paint fades with time also, but also, I can look at NOS parts and see maybe 4 or 5 shades that all look close, but just don't look right put together. So, it depends on how close you want paint to match. Best is to color match an unexposed part at an automotive paint source. If you're going to repaint the whole saw and ain't picky, try Ford red or Ferguson red and see what ya think. If you're wanting to find premixed paint for just doing a clutch cover, it probably ain't going to happen unless you have alot better luck than I've had.
Dan

Paint matching can get tricky, especially if you don't plan to paint the entire saw. The darker shade of red used late 60s and before can get close with Ferguson red. The later red which is usually lighter with more orange seems to come in multiple shades. Ford or Chrysler red is close to some, but I've yet to find a single color that matches close enough to do just a single part and feel it matches the rest of a saw. Paint fades with time also, but also, I can look at NOS parts and see maybe 4 or 5 shades that all look close, but just don't look right put together. So, it depends on how close you want paint to match. Best is to color match an unexposed part at an automotive paint source. If you're going to repaint the whole saw and ain't picky, try Ford red or Ferguson red and see what ya think. If you're wanting to find premixed paint for just doing a clutch cover, it probably ain't going to happen unless you have alot better luck than I've had.
Dan
Often items like clutch covers contrast rather than match, so that approach may let you off the hook.

Often items like clutch covers contrast rather than match, so that approach may let you off the hook.
Hey thanks For the info Dan, I agree the colors are all over the spectrum. I will check out the colors you suggested. Might you know what years they were blue? I have a SXL that has a P in the serial usually meening 1994, but it looks older.

Hey thanks For the info Dan, I agree the colors are all over the spectrum. I will check out the colors you suggested. Might you know what years they were blue? I have a SXL that has a P in the serial usually meening 1994, but it looks older.

The "P" isn't placed like this is it? This one designates Phelon ignition. It uses the TJ-8J shorty plug.

9b004839ea17f834b3614d92a84f3b81.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V

Latest posts

Back