Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same type of project.

Do you have a small engine repair shop near you? Most of them keep old chainsaws in the back for parts. I put a 36" bar with 404 skip tooth chain and it was too much and stalled in the cut quite a bit. It was much happier with a 24" roller tip bar with 404 skip tooth and never had any issues.

I just put a large mount Stihl 36" Carlton sprocket nose and .404 skip from Baileys on my C-71. I made up a filler plate to allow the bar to fit the smaller studs. I'm running an Oregon rim sprocket with it. I replaced the rings, bearing and seals. Went to a thinner base gasket and a carb rebuild. It runs great with the bar buried in White Ash.

The bar and chain combo ran me ~$85.00 shipped.

MP5N

It is still a mystery to me. It doesn't matter now, for the most part.

I'll be digging the 900G out pretty soon, may have something suitable to saw with it.

Will need to see the pics of that. Just finished cleaning and sharpenin a 909D that came in the mail. A Mac 890 too, but that's another thread.:tongue:

Been working on getting a proper 72" bar, the problem is that the ones I find, are attacted to a saw already, big bucks are wanted. If I find just the bar, it's too far gone. With all the big saws in this area, you would think there would be more.Then I think about the long bars I that I left behind, worn to the limits, too much money tied up to let a good bar sit. Almost all the big saws I see here are used up.

XL 12 fuel line.

I have some 3/16" i.d. x 5/16" o.d. tygon line (the yellow-green stuff) and want to use it in place of the moulded rubber line on there now.

What to do about the line port in the fuel tank? Is there a slick way to use a grommet?

T.I.A.
Carl.

It is still a mystery to me. It doesn't matter now, for the most part.

I'll be digging the 900G out pretty soon, may have something suitable to saw with it.

Now that's what I wanna hear. :cheers:

Is the 'something' a certain RW snag we've talked about before? Don't leave your eccentric friend out of the loop..:D

I have some 3/16" i.d. x 5/16" o.d. tygon line (the yellow-green stuff) and want to use it in place of the moulded rubber line on there now.

What to do about the line port in the fuel tank? Is there a slick way to use a grommet?

T.I.A.
Carl.

Some of the XL12/SXL saws had a grommet with 'regular' fuel line (instead of the molded line) installed from the factory. My running SXL is that way, as was one of my parts saws.

Some of the XL12/SXL saws had a grommet with 'regular' fuel line (instead of the molded line) installed from the factory. My running SXL is that way, as was one of my parts saws.

My blue/white one with the stack muffler is like that, that is, it has the tygon on it already. The red/black one has the moulded rubber line.

Funny thing is the blue one looks to be much older than the red one.
View attachment 171052
View attachment 171053

There is always silicone sealer.

Last edited:
they went red around 71, molded line works, it replaced the tygone tubing with the grommet. to get the molded line to work you need to drill the hole out so it will fit, just a little drilling works. You can also use a hair dryer to heat the line up, helps stretch the line without tearing it, I leaned that the hard way.

My blue/white one with the stack muffler is like that, that is, it has the tygon on it already. The red/black one has the moulded rubber line.

Funny thing is the blue one looks to be much older than the red one.
View attachment 171052
View attachment 171053

There is always silicone sealer.

That's strange. My blue/white Super XL 12's all have the older 'wick' style fuel pickup setup with the copper tube that comes out of the tank half. All of my XL12 family saws with the 'newer' fuel tank setup (that take either the molded line, or a line with a grommet) are all red. IIRC, there's a serial number cutoff listed in my IPL's where Homelite switched to the 'newer' style fuel tank setup.

Don't run silicone sealer.........please. The molded fuel lines can be had for around $10 or so shipped from several places. Try Edge and Engine and Chainsawr (both site sponsors) as well as just about any other on-line parts sources (including feebay). Silicone sealer and gasoline don't work well together.

XL 12 fuel line.

Actually I think the thing is sucking air at the carb spigot. That's were the rubber line is a little 'dog-eared'. If I can get a little spring clamp in there it would solve the problem. The darn thing dies at an idle that's slow enough to stop the chain form moving. Runs good otherwise. I put a kit in the carb.

The flywheel has gotten into the pole piece on the coil at one time and bent back some of the laminations. That may affect the idle due to weaker spark. However, it pull starts fine.

Actually I think the thing is sucking air at the carb spigot. That's were the rubber line is a little 'dog-eared'. If I can get a little spring clamp in there it would solve the problem. The darn thing dies at an idle that's slow enough to stop the chain form moving. Runs good otherwise. I put a kit in the carb.

The flywheel has gotten into the pole piece on the coil at one time and bent back some of the laminations. That may affect the idle due to weaker spark. However, it pull starts fine.

Post pic of bent laminations, you may be able to carefully bend them back. I've done that before.

1020xp

Picked this up today. Came with the 24" hard nose.
000_0011.jpg

000_0010-1.jpg

000_0009-1.jpg

000_0008-1.jpg

000_0007-1.jpg

Been working on getting a proper 72" bar, the problem is that the ones I find, are attacted to a saw already, big bucks are wanted. If I find just the bar, it's too far gone. With all the big saws in this area, you would think there would be more.Then I think about the long bars I that I left behind, worn to the limits, too much money tied up to let a good bar sit. Almost all the big saws I see here are used up.

Great news Randy. I can hear the rumble of a 900 series Homelite (and your stories of Ray the Master) in the not too distant future. Would be interested in finding out more about these big saws with the 72"ers attached to them!

Best of luck in your quest.

Regards,

Chris.

Wow!

Now you need to take a drive to Iowa to use those. There are huge cottonwoods down there that would allow you to bury those bars all the way and still not make it through to the other side.

That I would like to see. Its always better with Twins, Lee. Pretty cool. Even found what looks to be a new muffler shroud.

Latest posts

Back