Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice saw and good for you! Did you find that locally in the Roanoke area? Love the full wrap handle, its in very nice condition. Best, Max.
It came from the west coast. Big saws are difficult to find around here, though I did turn up a Homelite 750 with a CL wanted ad.

I picked up this nice little SEZ a couple of weeks ago.It came without the front handle,recoil,bar & chain,& ignition module.I had all the parts here except the ignition module,I got that at Standard Magneto for $53.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 15
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 15
Het guys. Have an old Homelite XL Auto that uses oil tank pressure to pump. Missing the bronze piece that the duckbill valve attaches. What are the alternatives to this brass sinter(sp)?
I didn't know the little XLs had the cap with the sintered bronze fitting.Alternatives would be to get a new/used cap,or buy a new bronze fitting,part # 69454.It looks like Leon's Chainsaw Parts & Repair & Feebay are all out.Bob Johnson in Maryland,N.Y.will have them,607-638-9297.

I didn't know the little XLs had the cap with the sintered bronze fitting.Alternatives would be to get a new/used cap,or buy a new bronze fitting,part # 69454.It looks like Leon's Chainsaw Parts & Repair & Feebay are all out.Bob Johnson in Maryland,N.Y.will have them,607-638-9297.
The bronze fitting actually attaches to a short breather line that is inserted just below the oil cap. The duckbill then attaches to the scintered fitting. To be honest, I’m not exactly sure how important it is. Maybe it’s only a conduit between the breather /vent line and the duckbill valve.

The bronze fitting actually attaches to a short breather line that is inserted just below the oil cap. The duckbill then attaches to the scintered fitting. To be honest, I’m not exactly sure how important it is. Maybe it’s only a conduit between the breather /vent line and the duckbill valve.
The bronze piece acts as a "filter" to allow air in & keep debris out & usually holds the duck bill in place.The duck bill allows air in as fuel/oil is used & prevents fuel/oil from leaking out.Without the duck bill a vacuum would form.

The sintered insert is supposed to function to allow tank pressure to bleed off to a certain extent (idle and after shutting off}. Else, it will leave a puddle after shutting off or when left in the hot sun. Briefly cracking the caps when finished will eliminate tank pressure just the same. I tend to do his regardless on machines using tank pressurized oiler systems.

Speaking of the SXL. I pulled this box out from under the bench after taking those pics. It will make a nice Christmas present for my friend who dropped it off nearly a year ago. Need to turn the crank and bore the PTO housing to fit the metric crank seal then put it back together.

which metric size fits best here?

Need to turn the crank and bore the PTO housing to fit the metric crank seal then put it back together.
I ask again..., why all the hassle? The 58308 / 07021 seals are available if you're patient and/or know where to look..., and it's actually the one you need instead of just a 12282 which crosses to SKF 6119 and 6120..
, which metric size fits best here?
Another good question. And why turn both the crank and bore for an available seal instead of just working the bore?

I just saw that there is a long chain guide and the saw is doing quite well / our skip chain is difficult to get, unless somewhere abroad / and as for seals, if someone is processing them, I assumed that they are unavailable, sorry

which metric size fits best here?
16x24x5mm
I ask again..., why all the hassle? The 58308 / 07021 seals are available if you're patient and/or know where to look..., and it's actually the one you need instead of just a 12282 which crosses to SKF 6119 and 6120..

Another good question. And why turn both the crank and bore for an available seal instead of just working the bore?
I’m not paying thru the nose for an old and obsolete seal when I already have the saw completely disassembled and I have access to a lathe and mill, and I don’t think I need to bore the housing because 24mm is pretty damn close to .9375

I don’t have my notes, but as far as just doing the bore I couldn’t find a seal with the 21/32 shaft diameter and the O.D. that I liked as I didn’t want to be hogging a lot out of the bore.
With a readily available seal I don’t have to worry as much about messing it up when I reassemble and I’m getting a modern double lip seal w/garter spring.

Turning the crank to 16mm dia 8A360C48-814A-4675-999E-68FB19A27F38.jpeg

So just your everyday weekend chainsaw hobbyist solution then, eh? LOL That's awesome, man.

Fwiw, I paid 6 bux apiece for my last few 58308s and they were like new. Still have a couple stashed away and wouldn't hesitate to use them in any application that required em. Maybe not typical, but why I asked.

The thing that makes seals go bad is heat & wear without lube.I've seen 35-40 yr.old seals that look just like they came out of the factory.I don't know who came up with the concept that a new,unused 40 yr.old seal is no good.I'd sure have no fear of using one.As a matter of fact,while doing inventory recently I came across 5 new 58308B seals that I'd misplaced & there was absolutely nothing wrong with them,not "dry rotted" a bit.

Back