Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The IPL for an XL-12 lists 48" of #5 starter rope.

Approx. what diameter is that?

Got some at the hardware store but may be too big.

Tnkx fellas.
Carl,

Should be able to get by with 1/8", 3/16" for sure. Bigger diameter means less rope on the rewind, bigger knot to hide on the spool.

Hello everyone, I am brand new to this site but not to chainsaws. I am a firefighter full time and have been cutting trees for 7 years now and just recently started a tree buisness of my own 4 months ago. I love chainsaws and most anything that uses gas and makes a loud noise. I call myself a decent mechanic as i grew up in racing and building gocarts and such. I am happily married with a 16 month old boy named Jack that I think has already hit the terrible twos.

Now that I have made an introduction and told you a little about myself I have a few questions to ask about a saw I recently aquired. I have a c-72 that runs great "now". It currently has an 18" bar that has seen its better days and I am wanting to find a good used bar or new if possible in the 32" to 36" range. What little research I have found on the saw I have found that it will pull a bar of this size if not "hossed" in the wood. My Homelite dealer hear in AR. can not find anything to replace it with. They have looked high and low and have even called bar companies Oregon etc. Can someone tell me or send me in the right direction to find what I am looking for please and maybe even a little info on the saw. It currently has a 17h-063 windsor bar that might help for a cross referance. Thanks again in advance and oh I also have a super xl and a super 2 as well. I love these old Homelite saws!
Thanks Mike,

Thanks so much for the help so far with this saw, but i'm still high and dry with finding a bar. Is there someone on here that sells bars or could give me a little more insight on how to find one. The largest "homelite" bar Oregon is showing that you can purchase from them is a 21" bar. Will any c series bar fit a c-72?
Sorry to act like a dummy but I do not know which direction to go. Thanks in advance for holding my hand with this issue.
Thanks Mike,

Thanks so much for the help so far with this saw, but i'm still high and dry with finding a bar. Is there someone on here that sells bars or could give me a little more insight on how to find one. The largest "homelite" bar Oregon is showing that you can purchase from them is a 21" bar. Will any c series bar fit a c-72?
Sorry to act like a dummy but I do not know which direction to go. Thanks in advance for holding my hand with this issue.
Thanks Mike,

The bar on my old c-7 was a 36" poulan sprocket nose with a .404 sprocket. I had to modify the bar adjustment hole on the bar to fit the large adjuster nut on the c-7 which i did with a drill on both top and bottom hole. I think it was a large husky mount but I'm not 100%, wish I could give you a part # but I regrettably sold the saw.

Thanks Mike,

A bar from any C-Series, XP-Series, Zip, Wiz, or other large mount '60s or '70s Homelite would work fine. An XL-Series Homelite mount bar will sit on the bar studs and can be made to work with the adjuster (see below), but isn't the right bar for the saw. The tail of that bar mount isn't tapered right to ensure that the oiler slot doesn't get uncovered, and (more importantly) the chain rivets will dig into the bar plates, clutch cover, and drive case.

The bar on my old c-7 was a 36" poulan sprocket nose with a .404 sprocket. I had to modify the bar adjustment hole on the bar to fit the large adjuster nut on the c-7 which i did with a drill on both top and bottom hole. I think it was a large husky mount but I'm not 100%, wish I could give you a part # but I regrettably sold the saw.

Looking at your pic, I'd say that was a Poulan bar made in the XL-Series Homelite bar mount pattern (Oregon D096) as many Poulans used that pattern (some with a spacer over the studs as the Poulans had 5/16" studs). A large mount Husky bar would have required you to open up the bar slot, as the Husky mount is 9mm while the Homelite studs are 3/8" (9.5mm). As I stated above, you can make the adjuster work (I have a 22" DO96 pattern bar that had been so modified), but there are other issues. Sometimes it can be made to work without a problem. You must have gotten lucky there. Still have that shorter Roller Nose bar?

Last edited:
Just got a few parts I'm collecting for the 750 in and installed. Big dawg to match the clutch cover.
100MEDIA_IMAG0074.jpg

And the 36" roller nose bar and .404 chain.
100MEDIA_IMAG0075.jpg

Also got the rubber carb intake and carb kit. Guess I better get busy and start cleaning this up for the Virginia GTG, now who's bringing some competition?:hmm3grin2orange:

homelitejim,

I have been informed that the covers are the same! Like I said, I may have one. I'll check tomorrow after work.

You were right, went to the chainsaw graveyard today and found 2 zips and grabbed the best cover and a NOS Oregon .404 sprocket. Now have to save up for that carb rebuilt kit and a length of chain.:msp_thumbup:

A bar from any C-Series, XP-Series, Zip, Wiz, or other large mount '60s or '70s Homelite would work fine. An XL-Series Homelite mount bar will sit on the bar studs and can be made to work with the adjuster (see below), but isn't the right bar for the saw. The tail of that bar mount isn't tapered right to ensure that the oiler slot doesn't get uncovered, and (more importantly) the chain rivets will dig into the bar plates, clutch cover, and drive case.

Looking at your pic, I'd say that was a Poulan bar made in the XL-Series Homelite bar mount pattern (Oregon D096) as many Poulans used that pattern (some with a spacer over the studs as the Poulans had 5/16" studs). A large mount Husky bar would have required you to open up the bar slot, as the Husky mount is 9mm while the Homelite studs are 3/8" (9.5mm). As I stated above, you can make the adjuster work (I have a 22" DO96 pattern bar that had been so modified), but there are other issues. Sometimes it can be made to work without a problem. You must have gotten lucky there. Still have that shorter Roller Nose bar?

unfortunately no, would look nice on my 770D:(

Just got a few parts I'm collecting for the 750 in and installed. Big dawg to match the clutch cover.

And the 36" roller nose bar and .404 chain.

Also got the rubber carb intake and carb kit. Guess I better get busy and start cleaning this up for the Virginia GTG, now who's bringing some competition?:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice!!!! Ill bring 15 super ez's that should be an even matchup against your 750!!

You were right, went to the chainsaw graveyard today and found 2 zips and grabbed the best cover and a NOS Oregon .404 sprocket. Now have to save up for that carb rebuilt kit and a length of chain.:msp_thumbup:

Glad you found one! Nice score on the NOS sprocket too!

Picked up a Homelite 750!

I just picked up a 750 on Craigslist. I talked to the guy and he mentioned he had a C7, C9 and he thought a 650. Turns out the other was a 750! All saws for $150.

Got home and started checking out the 750. Has really good compression, air filter was still red, no crud under it. Has spark. Took it outside and dropped some gas down the carb and she barked on the first pull. Filled up the tank, pulled her a few times and she settled down to a nice throaty idle. She revs up really nice, a good sounding saw.

The saw has a split in the black handle cover (not a throttle lock style) and is missing a few fins from the started screen. Other than that she's in really nice shape.

I'd like to find a new Homelite 42" .404 sprocket nose bar, handle cover and screen and fix her up. If anyone out there can help out I'd really appreciate it.

These Homelites a starting to get addictive!

MP5N

Nice grab! That saw is a beast...but without pictures and such a low post count, some folks here are going to doubt you did...the saying around here is "it didn't happen without pictures"! Need pics of the others as well.:msp_thumbup:

The 750 is a very nice saw, make sure you check out the fuel delivery system very careful and for extra measures you may just want to replace the lines, filter and carb boot, they have a tendency to go bad from sitting. The 750 piston's are near impossible to get, if you toast it, you'll probably having to get one special made.

The black screens around the starter cover are usually the first thing to go, if yours is there and only missing a few ribs, that's better than most. I've been watching for one of those for awhile now to fit mine, no luck yet. Some parts from the 550/650 will fit this series.

Finding a new Homelite bar is not impossible but will be a challenge. 36" to 42" is right where this saw likes and deserves to run! PM me if your serious about a bar, I have 1 of each.:cheers:

AND we need pictures!!

A few pictures of the 750

Finally got a few minutes to get some pictures of the 750. It's still dirty from sitting around for however long. Looking below the dirt and surface rust it should clean up nicely. I'm looking forward to cleaning this one up and running it.

MP5N

Muffler cover is there, that's good, starter screen looks ok, about like mine. There is a handle on the bay right now that will fit. Should clean up good, just check the carb boot, if it runs lean at high RPM, your done.

Picture of my C-71

Here's my C-71 with the 36" Carlton bar. A neighbor gave me the saw about 5 years ago. Until recently it's been sitting in the garage. When I got around to working on it I found it to be in good shape. I took it completely apart, cleaned all of the parts and replaced the bearings, seals, rings and added a new rim sprocket. The felling spike was gone so I made up a new one out of 410 stainless. We just got a nice water jet machine which made this really easy.

In my younger days I raced motorcycles professionally then got into building motors. I've been out of it for a while and this saw got the juices flowing again. So when everything was apart I did some minor porting bumped the compression a hair and added a C9 pyramid style reed cage. I machined the reed sealing faces to allow for a good seal and machined the reed retaining plates to flatten them out. I bought rings from that guy on eBay from Greece. When I got the rings the gap was around .01. I ended up filing a radial notch on the inside of the end gap to allow the rings to clear the alignment pin in the ring grooves of the piston. This allowed for a tighter end gap to help with blow by. This made a nice improvement in how it runs. I can bury the bar in White Ash and she just torques through.

I ended up fitting the large mount Stihl bar on a filler plate up to take up the clearance from the smaller studs. When I was dry fitting the bar I noticed the centerline of the bar studs didn't line up with the centerline of the crank so I staggered the holes to allow the bar to align with the crank. I'm thinking this will reduce some of the friction where the chain exits the bar and engages the sprocket. I also elongated the oiler slot in the side case and guide plate to allow the oil holes to line up better.

All in all it's been a cool project. I burn about 5 cords of wood a year and recently hooked up with a tree guy who will supply me with large trunks so I needed a big saw to make life easy. The 750 I just picked up was a great deal I couldn't turn down. I'm planning on fixing up the C7 I picked up with the 750 to let my neighbors use so I don't get my saws beat up. I'll more than likely do a full restoration on the C9. My kids seem to have the mechanical bug so it'll be a cool project to do with them.

Many thanks to all of the folk who make up this website. There is a huge amount of information and support which makes things easy.

By the way does anyone know this stuff can become addicting?

MP5N

Latest posts

Back