Homelite EZ auto

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jasonrkba

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I played around with the inlet needle until I got it to seat or until it didn't drain the gas all over the floor. I've rebuilt many carbs but to be honest my success rate is 50/50. I have little to no experience with the Reed valve. I think an old lawn boy I rebuilt had one. After running at WOT for a few seconds I set it down and it would idle for a minute and dye. Gas would be spitting from both the muffler and carb. This is with the H and L needle screwed nearly completely in.

edju1958

edju1958

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The used HDC4 carbs on Chainsawr are $17.95 plus $8.95 shipping.They have carb kits there as well.I just checked,& they don't have any HDC2's in stock.I bought the HDC2,it's OK to use that one in place of the HDC4.You can also use a HDC44 if you can find one.My next suggestion is to check on Ebay,There is a seller there,or you can Google Lil'Red Barn in Virginia.They do a lot of aftermarket stuff for Homelite,but he won't be cheap.Good luck.I just found this one on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Homelite-S...705150&hash=item441acd69e7:g:XbAAAOSwXAJZyqTo Ed

Jasonrkba

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Edju1958 I did the same thing your son did. When I replaced the gasket I matched it up with what was already in it and it was wrong. After looking up the replacement on ereplacment.com where you can see an actual picture of the gasket I was able to see I used the wrong one. The saw purrs like it should now. The only flaw it has is the chain cover is cracked where someone didn't fit it all the way on before tightening so oil drips on the muffler a little bit while idling.

edju1958

edju1958

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Jason,I'm glad to hear that you've got that SEZ running nice again! I knew it had to be something that you were missing,but this is how we learn.It's better to learn from someone else's mistakes if we can,but that seldom happens.Lol When my saw had the wrong gasket in it,it wouldn't run period,only on a prime.It was just by dumb luck that I found what the problem was with the wrong gasket.If it'd been my first HDC carb rebuild I would've never found the problem,but it was about my 3rd or 4th one,so I caught it right away.I guess I was paying attention,& apparently so were you!
Do you think you can get a pic of where your drive case cover (that's what the chain & sprocket cover is called) on here? I've found that not all drive case covers will swap out onto all SEZ's,this is because over the run of the SEZ model it was changed,sometimes ever so slightly.If you can tolerate the oil drips on the muffler,great,but if you want to change the drive case cover there are some on Ebay from time to time.Sometimes you can get a cheap one,other times not so cheap.Good luck in your endeavors & congratulations on a job well done!
Ed

edju1958

edju1958

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Wow,a Mac 1-70,now there's a real powerhouse! 5.3 c.i.,87 cc,the biggest Mac I've got is a Timberbear,just a runt compared to the 1-70.Lol I've wanted to get one of the bigger Mac's ,but they're so damn expensive on Ebay.I haven't had much luck on CL either.A 10-10 is another Mac on my list,but they're right up there in price as well.That's alright,I've got a whole bunch of Homelite muscle saws to get going - 540,XP-1000,& C-71,plus an endless supply of SXL's,most of the latter only need a new fuel line & a carb rebuild.This is mostly something to take up my spare time in the winter months.It's a great hobby to get into,but it can be costly.Lol Doersn't it make you feel great when you hear something come back to life that was left for dead a couple of decades ago? Anyway,good luck Jason.
Ed

edju1958

edju1958

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
So,what ya got goin'on with the Mac?I see you've got the recoil off.If you ever run into a situation where you need Mac parts,I've got a guy not far from me that has an endless supply of Mac parts.He even goes so far as to send the saw out to have the engine re-plated,he takes out every nut,bolt & screw,& when he's done you have virtually a new saw for a lot less than you can buy one.He only does it on Mac's though.He also has a good supply of Homelite parts too.
I like to tinker with small J'reds too,especially 361's.I've got about 7 or 8 of them & I'm looking at another one right now.I just bought out the last parts my local dealer had left in stock from when he was a J'red dealer back over 35 yrs.ago.I'm in desperate need of the recoil pulleys though,they're as scarce as hen's teeth.
I know what you mean by being on a limited budget.I'm on disability & have been since 1990.The pitaly income I get from disability payments is hardly enough to get by on,let alone have a hobby.If I didn't grow my own vegetables n my garden & either can or freeze them,plus cut fire wood to heat my home,well I wouldn't be living where I am right now.
Ed

Latest posts