Homelite needs help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
A friend was given this saw by his dad that had it stored in the case in the attic. It was his grand fathers and has been stored in the attic for years after his passing. He wants me to get it running for him and I need alittle info on these saws.
It had oil or maybe gas mix in the cylinder and plug was oil covered. It wouldnt pull through at first but got most of the mix out of the cylinder and cleaned the plug and have spark. Is this saw worth putting any money into? He just wants it for small homeowner needs. I figure carb kit and fuel lines so far. Darn thing dont even look like it was used. Any idea on year of saw?
CopyofCoyote006.jpg

Found years of this saw on acres site, 76-82. Does this saw use points? or eletronic.

cut4fun, here is the link to information on this saw. Copy and paste to your browser search.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...599a10777002057f88256c260047d374?OpenDocument

Why does it need a carb kit and fuel lines? Now that you have cleaned the storage oil out have you tried filing the tank, priming the carb and starting it?

These are fun little saws and good for pruning, camping and small wood cutting.

Mark

I love Super 2s. Not as powerful as a 150 or Super EZ, but a nice saw for around the house trimming, or limbing work. Earlier ones came with points and later ones without. You can find a replacement solid state unit at many of the aftermarket chainsaw sites.

As for oil in the cylinder, there were a couple of different methods used for oiling the chain. Super 2s use the same methods as the little XLs and you can search for posts about details of oiling problems (try searching for duckbill and XL). Bottom line is the saw may need some repair to prevent bar lube from entering the engine. I'd try running it first though as it may be fine with no problems.

Good luck,
Dan

It's a pain getting these things all apart and back together, but they're a very easy saw to fix up overall. I have a bunch of them. I'd check to see if you can get it running now. If not, then a carb kit and a new spark plug is usually enough to do it from what I've seen. I've also noticed that you can get into fixing one of these things and all the sudden you've put $60 into it.

Other things to look for is the little duckbill valves. Sometimes they deteriorate, or will fall off the check valve in the tank. I replace them automatically because the rubber is almost always hardened to some degree. The metering diaphragm for the oil also seems to tear if it is an old diaphragm.

Most of the little Homelite saws I've fixed up have looked like yours did. I think they were to run at 50:1. The muffler and spark plug are generally caked with residue and need a good cleaning.

Cut4fun, It is usually simple to get $60.00 for those saws in running condition if the saw is really clean then up to $100.00. That is local sale pricing not Ebay. I do not know why but a lot of people like those little saws a lot.

Flush the gas tank and cylinder out with fuel mix, prime the saw, and do some pulling. You might need to back the carb screws out a little bit. I have had a couple of those saws perk back to life that way.

There is a duck bill valve in the oil tank that might be crapped out and allowing bar oil to be sucked into the crankcase when you pull it over. If so then put on a new duck bill. You do not need to take the saw apart to do this. Good luck.

i am smal homelite fan

the reason you may find oil in the cyclinder is simple the old timers usaully put oil in the cyclinder to protect it durring storge
put a new plug in and fresh mix in thge tank the saw uses 40-1 mixes:notrolls2:

Update

Just needed a new fuel filter and carb adjusted, as of now. Old fuel filter had come apart and was in 2 pieces inside tank, with one piece still on line. Will have to let it sit over night to see about the duck bill valves leaking or not.

help ya if I can

This is a very good overall saw for small cutting or camping needs.The duck bill should be checked for deteriation and replaced if needed.If it has not been used for a long time,then now is a good time to get into this saw.It is not a hard saw to work on but a pain in the butt,because the saw must be almost completely taken apart to put a carb kit in it!!!!!!!If you have a digital camera,then you have a major tool on your side.take pictures!!! Lots of them as you disasemble the saw.There really aren't that many parts,but as told by many,it' a pain! I some times feel a birthday pass woking on one of these saw's

good cheap tree saw

i buy these for tree service work if it hits the ground or gets munched it is cheaper to fix than newer saws ;) :blob2: there is nothing wrong with the newer saws i have bought and used many of the newer saws. i hate to trash a good newer saw when working on trees that might go bad and have the potential to destroy me or the saw. it better to let the saw take a beatin not me:laugh:

Update and finished

Well I ran it awhile and did some cuts with it and let it sit over night without removing the caps, so pressure would be on the duck bills. Got it out just a moment ago and she pulled over and fired right up. No problems.
I think it was like someone here stated that the grandpa had put it away in storage with oil in the cylinder. Saw goes back to one happy grandson tomorrow. Not bad for what it is and just like new. Thanks all for inputs.

I picked up one of these saws from my Grandfather as well. I took it apart a year and a half ago and there is sat in a box until the big snowstorm on Friday the 13'th last month in Fort Erie, Ontario. I frantically put it together from all the pieces that I had left, fired it up and she cut two days worth of limbs that had fallen in the neighborhood. I have to say, it was my first experience with a chainsaw and I love it. Small enough for camping and powerful enough to do jobs around the house.

Hoppy

Back