Homelite Serial # Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJ

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A local add is advertising two Homelite chainsaws with 24" bars. The only numbers that I could get the feller to give me were 50182 and 50056. He says they're about 25-30 years old, but couldnt really give me more info over the phone.

Are these in any way meaningful to anyone? I guess I'll just go have a looksee otherwise.

25-30 years ago was 1979-1984. Homelite used 8-digit and 9-digit serial numbers then, and the serial numbers would not tell you the saw model... they were encoded to tell what production line the saw was assembled on, the year of manufacture, the calendar day of the year on which the saw was assembled, and the numerical unit of the saw among those assembled that day.

Example: serial number 212240873 tells you that the saw was assembled on production line 2, in 1981, on the 224th day of the year, and was unit number 873 assembled that day in that year on that assembly line.

Somewhere in this forum is a copy of a Homelite Technical Service Bulletin, issued in, I think, 1984, which explains Homelite serial numbers for the 9-digit and 8-digit cereal numbers and the earlier 7-digit see-real numbers, which went back into the mid-to-late 1960's. A search should turn up that thread, with that TSB in it.

None of this helps you know what model the saws are... or what condition they're in...

Better go look 'em over...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back