Homelite Super XL-12 With 2 Fuel Lines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawnami

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently got an early model Super XL-12. The fuel tank was varnished up real bad inside so i decided to take it apart and clean it. The fuel line was just a strip of black tar inside of the tank.:dizzy:

It has a hole which appears to be for a molded fuel line at the top of the tank and also has a brass fitting and copper line coming from the bottom of the tank on the outside. The copper line is pinched off and goes nowhere. The inside of the tank has a felt pad that is attached to the inside port that goes to the copper line.

I'm wondering if the copper line has a purpose or if someone has drilled a hole in the top for a molded line and did away with the copper line which may have been the original line.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 128582

View attachment 128583

View attachment 128584

The brass fitting and copper line definitely look factory. That arrangement I have never seen on a Homelite, but the old Lombard 4.2 inch saw was like that. I would guess that someone pinched off the copper line and drilled the hole for a molded line. I would remove the original fitting and plug the hole and put in a grommett in the drilled hole and run Tygon line from carb through the grommett and into a filter in the tank.

The copper line is factory installed and probably clogged up. The felt worked well until it became dirty and then would stop working, starving the fuel system. The hole in the top side was drilled for a molded line, but its really in the wrong place compared to a normal factory location for a molded line. Using a molded line probably wont work for this tank as the lenght of the line is not designed to go around the corner. Like someone else said, seal off the bottom hole (JB weld) and use the top one for a tube type line that would bend around the corner. You'd have to use a grommet and tubing and probably be more headache than it's worth.

I would buy a used tank in good condition from Ebay for around $10-15 bucks. Search "homelite sxlao". Make sure its from a super as the XL-12 has the oil tank in the bottom of the tank. Ebay the molded fuel line and filter for $15. Remove the old line and drill the hole to 3/8" instead of the 5/16 hole that's there, the molded line won't fit the 5/16 hole without damaging the molded line. You want the fuel line to fit firmly but able to be pulled into place without tearing the line. I have found the 3/8 hole to be a better fit and nice firm fit will prevent fuel from leaking out the hole if you turn the saw over.

If you need some more help, send me a PM.:cheers:

Randy

Thanks for the great information! After looking at the upper hole more closely, I can tell that it isn't quite perfectly round as if it was drilled by hand.

Randy, you are right about the molded line fitting. I tried one that I had and it likes about 1-1/2" reaching the bottom of the tank and about 1" to reach and go over the carburetor nipple. I'll try the grommet and straight line idea.

Thanks again for your help!:clap::clap:

Latest posts

Back