Homelite Super XL Auto carb not getting fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Yes. No leaks from clutch or flywheel side while spinning crank. Ok. I will confess. When I took apart the carb to take pictures the pump side diaphragm didn't look right for some reason. However it matched the diagram from an SXLAO parts list. It has a big hole in it. I dug out the old diaphragm and it did not have the big hole. Went back to the carb kit and lo and behold there was a second diaphragm that matches the old diaphragm. In the picture you can see the holeless diaphragm on top of the diaphragm with the hole. The hole is what let the fuel drip out of pump side cover when I tilt the saw and the fuel not get to the carb when pulling on cord. DOH!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 11
LOL, [emoji28], you smuk. Want to borrow my glasses, bi-focals. Well ain't you special, glad you found the problem. Post a vid when ya get it running so we can hear it.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Yep it runs. Started on second pull. Please smack me over the head with a small ball peen hammer right between the peepers. As soon as I figure out how to post a video and I find my phone I will post a video. :)

Yep it runs. Started on second pull. Please smack me over the head with a small ball peen hammer right between the peepers. As soon as I figure out how to post a video and I find my phone I will post a video. :)

Have no fear you are not the 1st & you won't be the last to have "DUH" moments with carb rebuilds I get a sheet of paper towel & write on #s 1to 15 or 20as I take off each part & place by a #,on reassembly I work backwards & check the part is a new version of the pre strip fitted part I always bear in mind the words of my Grand dad "The man who never made a mistake never did"nowt".You found your problem & got your saw running so that's a + :clap:

I have the correct rebuild kit installed but I think I did something stupid. Before I confess to being dumber than a door knob I need to put the chainsaw back together and see if it runs with a minor change. Stay tuned for potential confession.

Oh I pressure and vacuum tested the crankcase and the seals are fine. But it leaked elsewhere. Where? Stay tuned for my confessional.
[

Where was the vac pressure leak you mentioned????

Some of them type Homelites, especially the EZ's will leak at the block to jug seal and tightening the 4 nuts will make it seal ok. May have to mod a wrench by grinding thinner to fit one of the nuts.

The idle will become very erratic and the carb jets adjustments will act erratic if the jug to block starts leaking and the H jet adjustment will have a large impact on the idle speed also and may get worse as the block gets warmed up.

Here is a link to some good Zama carb info from the Horses mouth, ZAMA.
Also note the info available at the bottom of the page right hand corner, service tips, FAQ's and download pdf function on the left side at bottom of each if you want to save or print any of the info.
Glance at the metering lever types and adjustment info also.

http://www.zamacarb.com/page/disassembly_servicing_1

Good to hear you got it going. I'm still running some of the old Super Ez's that are 40 years old and they just keep on running like the energizer bunny. Most of mine use the Walbro carb's and the Walbro HDC carb's are not user friendly to re-install onto a EZ.:chainsaw:

it leaked at the Zama carb on pump side cover. When I covered the intake and compression/vacuum tested it held both just fine. I rechecked with correct diaphragm and no leak.

Since this is a barn find I want to verify the L and H needles are in the correct holes. My usual Zama rule of longer L needle with finer threads doesn't apply because both needles are same length and same thread. One has a longer thread so I suspect it may be the L needle.

I will make sure the bolts are tight. One of them does look like a hassle to get to but I have some beat up wrenches that I can grind and bend.

You say: it leaked at the Zama carb on pump side cover. When I covered the intake and compression/vacuum tested it held both just fine.

I've never tried to vac/pressure test with a carb in place? (but I have applied pressure to the input of a walbro carb fuel input to see if it holds at least 3# pressure, if it don't the needle/seat is leaking.

And I've seen them nuts that hold the jug to the block not completely tight so I always check them, even if those blocks hold pressure/vac because when the saw block starts heating and cooling they can leak erratically.
If one is loose they all will be loose. I've never seen just one loose. If the 3 that are easy to get too are tight that one that is hard to get too will be ok and no thinned out modded end wrench needed. If the others can be turned that one will need tightened also. All 4 have to be tight for a seal. If 3 nuts have to be tightened the fourth nut will also have to be tightened to get a good seal.

I wanted to see if carb was leaking so I Installed carb with gasket/spacer but not reed valve with a metal plate and gasket on intake side. I Connected MityVac with one of the adapters into the hole. With carb and spark plug on I tried to put pressure and air would just leak out of the vent hole and that got me thinking of the diaphragm so I found the original and it didn't match up. So, a redneck attempt I guess to figure out why fuel was coming out of the carb. Probably not the way to do it but it did get me thinking. To actually pressure/vacuum test it I used my Stihl adaptor on the carb housing gasket and plugged up the exhaust side with a piece of inner tube behind the muffler. Pumped it up to 7 psi and it held. Vacuumed it at 10 psi and it held. Rotated the crankshaft and it held vacuum. Then I rubbed peanut butter on myself and ran around doing the happy dance because I didn't have to change the seals. :)

Please don't say that cigar is a coveted Cuban Cigar, hadn't had one in years, wife did get me some Cuban cigarettes 9 years sgo, man they were Sweet.

Please don't say that cigar is a coveted Cuban Cigar, hadn't had one in years, wife did get me some Cuban cigarettes 9 years sgo, man they were Sweet.

No. Cuban cigars are delicious but only counterfeits are available in my neck of the woods. It's a Dominican Macanudo and it is very tasty. Bad cultural habit I acquired from my beloved Dad.

Latest posts

Back