Homelite super xl won't run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnboyy7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Replaced oil case housing due to broke handle bracket. Put back together and it will not start. It for sure feels to have more compression.
I have replaced spark plug and verified that it is sparking.
Will not fire even with starting fluid.
Don't know what else to try.

Replaced oil case housing due to broke handle bracket. Put back together and it will not start. It for sure feels to have more compression.
I have replaced spark plug and verified that it is sparking.
Will not fire even with starting fluid.
Don't know what else to try.
Take a test plug and open gap to about 1/4 inch, will it spark then? More compression requires more voltage. You could have had a weak ignition, and the extra compression sent it over the edge.

Gap is at .025 already. Is this what your mean?
How can I check voltage or fix?
This was a check running saw before I worked on it. :).
Even with weak voltage, shouldn't it at least ignite ether?

Gap is at .025 already. Is this what your mean?
How can I check voltage or fix?
No. Do the test above. 1/4 inch is 10 times more than .025 If spark will jump this MUCH wider gap, then spark is good, if it won't then spark is weak. Your doing the test in open air (outside of engine) plug body must still touch metal. Post back with results.

The only way to check the reed valves is to take the carburetor off, they sit in a pyramid configuration behind the carb on a plastic plate, they need to lay flat in their place. You'll understand it when you get in there. The plate they sit on just pulls off but may be a little stuck from the sealer or gaskets.

I dont think the reed is stuck unless that saw sat for years and the varnish on the reed from evaporated fuel stuck the reed closed. That does not appear to be the case.

The saw was running great until I took it apart.
Flywheel is fine.

If it was running when you took it apart and now does not run when you put it back together, you obviously didnt put it back together right. Until you tell us how far you took the saw down, we can only "pot-shot" what may be wrong. You said it would not start or cough on starting fluid. That tells us no spark(coil wired wrong) or spark at the wrong time(sheared flywheel key). Until you start testing as was advised earlier, we can't be much help.

How far did you take it apart? Does the saw have points or electronic ignition? Did you remove coil? Did you do test as posted earlier?
I have not done spark plug test yet. Will do this weekend. Don't know how to tell which ignition it has. Sorry for ignorance but is the coil the part behind flywell that magnets on flywell pass by or is this the whole ignition? Either way, the only thing I did here was unscrew from jug.

Latest posts

Back