Homelite VI Super 2?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie30

Reaction score
I just picked up this saw at a yardsale for $35 today. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it has any kind of a chain braking system, what years it was made, and what fuel mixture to use. It would be nice if I could find an owners manual for it. It has an 18" bar.

That's it!

It looks exactly like the one in the picture except the handguard is steel with horizontal slots and says homelite-textron on the id plate by the switch. Thanks for sending me the link!

No problem!

The one with the steel crashbar on the front is the model with the chainbrake, I think.

If it (the metal bar) clicks backwards and forwards it is the one with the brake.

I didn't think the VI-2 came with a chainbrake. Sounds to me like a simple bolt on hand guard.

I've never seen a VI Super 2, or for that matter Super 2, or XL with anything other than a hand guard either. But then again, just because I haven't seen one doesn't mean its not out there. I have tons of IPLs and none show a brake. It would require a completely different design for the bar retainer and engine housing.

Dan

Good thing we got that cleared up.

I was thinking one of the later varieties(near their demise) had this, but the saw dosent share the exact case design, very similar in appearance.

Next time I see one on the bay Ill post the pic here.

Yes, there is a chain brake!

RBW, you know your Homelites! I know this topic is a bit old now, but I happened to be thumbing through a manual last night and, sure enough, there was an illustration of a Super 2 with a chain brake! I still can say I've never seen one first hand, but there was a somewhat flimsy looking mechanism used on these saws that acted as a chain brake.

Dan

Holy Crap!!!!!

I looked and looked on this topic and all I could find that matched what I was invisioning was possably a 240?

They look similar enough that I thought my minds eye was seeing things.

Thanks for the clarification Dan!

*edit

I found this on acres site.....

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...d4b1071a456ca76c88256cd6001cc24c?OpenDocument

Dunno why I couldnt find it before, Notice it says after "Chain break" only on some Models, this could be the cause of the confusion.

Last edited:
Back