Homelite xl 12 coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pappasteve

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A guy at work has a homelite xl 12 that he needed to get going again. I got it running and was going to check how it was going to cut before giving it back to him. Went out to start it and no start. Not getting spark.

The replacement coils are quite expensive that I find on the internet. Is there another option or maybe someone on here may have a good used one that the could part with? This coil does not use points. It is the blue one.

Is the Homelite xl and xl 12 parts interchangable (flywheel and coil)? Found a cheap one that runs I could use for parts.

You talking about the points type? The one I have has no points. I guess I could convert it back to points and use a electronic conversion setup to get rid of the points.

Pure speculation on my part but, Lombards with solid state ignition use a black coil. And, given the Wico and Phelon points coils from them are identical to the Homie coils, they may be a viable replacement for the crappy blue one.

I fixed a saw for a buddy that gad the same issue. The blue Prestolite coil had failed and they run about $60 to replace I did some internet research and found a guy who suggested warping the coil in aluminum foil and baking in the oven for 10 minutes at 350*. Believe this or not but I tried it and the coil worked again. You might give it a shot, but wait till the wife is gone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250
Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface

Aluminum foil absorbs the bad karma? He he.................................

My wife does allow me to heat crankcase halves in the oven and cool ball bearings in the freezer on occasion...................................

Also assemble con. rod bearings on the kitchen island (more light in the kitchen). Bad language notwithstanding.

After baking it in the oven and it started working again, How long did it stay working for?

It still works as far as I know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250
Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface

Coil baking is an old Lawnboy trick. Condensation from temp change and storage builds up in the coil and shorts it out. If a coil comes back by baking, it should continue to work unless stored where the condensation can re-enter the module. Some folks spray the coil with hair spray in an effort to seal the case. A dab of RTV around where the plug wire exits can help seal too. May save you $75? Toaster oven on low (200f) for a half an hour.

XL12 point type setup will bolt into the electronic type setup but won't work. Electronic XL12's don't have the cam lobe on the crankshaft needed to operate the points.

I put it in the oven and baked it for about 10 minutes last night. I put it back on today but before I tried it I clipped about a 1/2" off the end of the spark plug wire and reinserted the end for the plug. The saw now works! So I don't know which it was possibly the end for the plug or moisture in the coil or possibly both. Thanks to everyone that gave ideas to help me get it going, This site is awesome.

Well now it doesn't work. Let it set over night and it wouldn't hit a lick. Took the coil back off and baked it again. After it cooled I put rtv around the coil wire to help seal it off. Still doesn't start.

I'm going to just put a points style coil and bracket in it with a Nova module. Will the flywheel i have work with the points style coil, or will that have to be changed too? It has a prestolite flywheel on it now.​

Latest posts

Back