homelite XL 12 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovetheoutdoors

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello guys i have a homelite xl 12 that needs some attention. The saw starts fine but idles up and down and dies out when you rev it up. Any of you guys tell me where to start.thanks

Not in the way a car engine would, like if the timing chain/belt were to jump 1 tooth. But the flywheel key can become damaged and throw the ignition timing off. The points (if it has them) could be out of adjustment and throw the timing off.

I agree on it sounding like a vacuum leak. The crankshaft seals would be my bet.

JohnL said:
Not in the way a car engine would, like if the timing chain/belt were to jump 1 tooth. But the flywheel key can become damaged and throw the ignition timing off. The points (if it has them) could be out of adjustment and throw the timing off.

I agree on it sounding like a vacuum leak. The crankshaft seals would be my bet.
Crankshaft seal is leaking. Do a pressure/vacuum test.

Can't remember but I think that saw has a crappy rubber boot between the carb and intake and are prone to splitting/cracking. Seals are easy enough if you want to spend the time on a total teardown.

Rotax

Yep it has the plastic or rubber boot.... thanks for all the advice you guys have given me......im going to check the simple stuff first when i get time.....great looking saw just needs some attention..:greenchainsaw:

I've never heard of an XL-12 with a rubber boot. There is a hard plastic spacer that holds the reeds, but no soft rubber boot like on the 330, 350,360,410,450,540,550,650,750 (did I forget any?). These boots were used to accommodate the anti-vibe designs that mounted the carbs on the handle part with the engine separated from the handles using anti-vibe mounts.

As for the problem, a crank seal certainly sounds like a high probability. You may want to ensure no cracks in the fuel line also, as air can enter here and cause lean surging. When was the last time the carb was rebuilt? You may need to see if anything is blocking the high-side gas flow.

Dan

Dan is correct. There is no boot on a XL-12 or SXL

I have a 1971 model that has cut a ton of wood & is still going. Has all the orig. parts that it left the factory with.

You definitly have an air leak somewhere, just have to find it.

your right its a plastic boot......thanks for all the info you guys have give me ideas i havnt thought of. As for the carb untelling when the last time it has been touched. Where is the best place to find gas lines and small parts like that.....where i live we have nothing around here. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back