Homelite XL-700 Rebuild - Need Parts, etc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_03_FLHRCI

Reaction score
Hello,

I was referred to this forum and couldn't find the information I need in the archives. I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction on the rebuild of an old Homelite XL700 that my father dumped in my lap. I couldn't pull the thing for the life of me and pulled the cylinder and piston to see the piston scored up pretty good. Now I hear that it's typical for these old saws to pull hard as hell, but I still think the piston was fighting back. I'd like to find a piston/cylinder set or just a set of piston/rings cheap if I can find one as the cylinder looked OK enough. Any ideas on good resources to get parts for this little project?

In hind sight, I should have pulled the plug first to test the spark as well, but that's life. I'm hoping that the new piston will get things going. I also noticed a few people recommend a carb rebuild and crank case seals as well, so any helpful hints on that area as well would be helpful.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Joe
Bridgewater, MA

Also, does anyone know of a good link to get .pdf's of this manual? This would help me quite a bit.

Bill W is your guy (I know you are logged on Bill)

BTW: I used my "New" SXL (that I bought on ebay) this afternoon - runs like a new one (not that i would know what that would be like) All i had to do was replace the fuel line/filter & throw a carb kit in her. Also replaced the rim & gave it a good bath. Has 125# compression & runs & idles great. Not bad for $33 + shipping.

Mike

Great Buy Mike!
The last price (1999) on the XL700 Piston w/rings was not cheap and it won't be easy to find, but I'm looking.

parts might be availavle from:

Sisler's Sales and Service in Dubuque, Iowa 563-582-8551

or

Hawkins Bros. Shelbina, MO 573-588-4731

I just completely rebuilt my SXL 925 and XL 921...both great vintage Homelite saws that are ultra powerful..

Replaced the piston and rings in the 925, rings in the 921, all seals, gaskets, piston pin bearings, connecting rod bearings. Both have 185 psi and are essentially new inside. Ball honed both scored cylinders and cleaned them up nicely. Then gave them a like-new paint job. Hard to beat the reliability and raw power/cutting speed of these old saws. All parts cost approx. $200. Got all parts required from above suppliers. Xl 700 the predecessor to my saw models. Good luck.

Great info. I'll follow these leads and start looking into getting the parts I need.

I'm a simple garage mechanic but really enjoy delving into projects like this. I see rhamm17 mentions ball honing the cylinders, etc. As I stated earlier, I thought the cylinder looked OK, but I was referring to the fact that there was no scoring. Is there more to observe? I would be very interested in doing this right the first time and coming out of this with a step up from the BINFORD 5000!!!!! Could someone either explain this procedure or provide a good link for some reading tonight?

GREAT FORUM!!!!!

Thx,

Joe

check this link...

/www.pilot-odyssey.com/~hoser/web/CylinderHone.htm

Back