Homelite XL 925

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
925s are a great saw. If looking at a used saw, things can be a bit confusing though. There were so many variations of the XL-700/800/900, all with many similar features. Parts interchange and often times these saws are a hybrid mix from different versions. In my book, the one key item that makes a 925 unique is it used the thin rings. Problem is, finding replacement pistons or even rings is getting tough. Still, they're great saws.

Dan

Great saw indeed.......

Hello. To me they're great saws. They have the grunt to handle most of what I deal with, which is mostly mid-size to large trees and branches on my parents farm. The Super XL-925 I have, a mid 1980's model, has a half wrap handle and a spike. It has a two filter system for the carb, the usual large air filter, and a smaller one right in front of the intake. They're sometimes referred to as spit catchers for backflow. What does the version you're looking at have in terms of features? Pretty easy to work on as well. Good luck and let us know if you grab it. Best, Max.:cheers:

Anybody know how many ccs this saw is and was it a decent saw.

I had some documation in my hands awhile ago in the form of a Homelite service bullitin and it explained how the later 925's were actaully 77cc instead of the earlier 82cc.

If I remember right it was explaing how the 77cc piston and cyl were being supplied as service replacment parts and how they were doing this to overcome overheating problems and such.

I had a whole bunch of manuals and such supplied by a helpfull member to me for copying and I screwed up and forgot to get the service bullitins scanned before I returned them to him. :censored:

It does explain to me now how come Acres site list the 925 as both 77 and 82cc's now though,.

One of the best firewood saws Homelite ever made. I have two.

Brad, there a great saw as far as perfomance goes but they have too many of there own drawbacks, to go as far as that blanket statment you just made.

Don't get me wrong I have alot of respect for mine and I had 4 of them here not too long ago, but as far as the "best firewood saw Homelite ever made"

Lets just say I respectfully disagree.

That's a new one Mark. It'd be great to hear more on this. So they reccomended sticking a 901 or 921 P/C set on a 925 is they got too hot..... just seems kinda like a messed up solution.

Dan

That's a new one Mark. It'd be great to hear more on this. So they reccomended sticking a 901 or 921 P/C set on a 925 is they got too hot..... just seems kinda like a messed up solution.

Dan

Well was surprised by it also. I'm also kicking myself for not getting those scanned but thats what it said. It gave the cyl dia and everything.

I searched my files high and low but now I'm sure I sent it back without getting that one done. :censored::censored:

I was just talking with my cousin a few minutes ago, we are both 4th generation in the tree care business, retired. I was telling him I was restoring 2 of my old Super 1050's, and he said the 925 was his favorite big saw of the day, Joe.

Biggest question I've always had about 925s is "why no decomp??????" Same for the 955.... They stuck it on the 944, but the 955 was without. Puts alot of stress on the starter parts, as well as your arms.

Dan

Biggest question I've always had about 925s is "why no decomp??????" Same for the 955.... They stuck it on the 944, but the 955 was without. Puts alot of stress on the starter parts, as well as your arms.

Dan

I have seen super xl-925s with and without decompression valves.

Dan

They stuck it on the 944? Geeze they stuck a decomp on a Super E-Z!! :ices_rofl:

No excuse for not having one on the high compression 925 at all. I have posted pictures here before of a split recoil pulley to go along with what your saying Dan.

Try restarting one that has been shut off after stumping with it with the tank full of boiling gasoline.

This is just another reason I disagree with Brad.

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the SXL-925!! There a running SOB!

Just laying it out like it is.

Are you sure it was original? Might have had the jug changed?

For what its worth, I have several versions of the 925 IPL's and none ever show a decomp.

I'm not sure. Mine doesn't have one, but Dean has a couple that do. Mine has 180 psi compression, but I have never needed a decompression valve. I just put my foot in the handle loop and hold the front handle with my left hand. Then I put the rope slowly with my right hand until it reaches the top of the stroke. Then I give a quick jerk. Works for me. However, this does not work on my SP125C that has 180 psi compression. I guess that it's the difference in timing or displacement. Either way I love my super xl 925. It pulls the 28" bar with full comp 3/8" chain easily.

Brad, there a great saw as far as perfomance goes but they have too many of there own drawbacks, to go as far as that blanket statment you just made.

Don't get me wrong I have alot of respect for mine and I had 4 of them here not too long ago, but as far as the "best firewood saw Homelite ever made"

Lets just say I respectfully disagree.

I don't know Homelites well enough to say it's their best. I just said one of the best, as I've heard others refer to them. I agree that they need a decomp. Mine has 200 PSI compression with no base gasket, and you know it when you pull it.

Yea, of the half dozen or so laying around here, none have decomps, and in at least 3 versions of IPLs, there's none shown either. Doubt seriosly one left the factory with decomp installed. But, its pretty easy to fit a cylinder assembly with decomp from another saw in the series onto a 925 saw. The rear handle linkage stuff may require a mod or changout, but it sure could be done easy enough.

Dan

Hey Mark what is your fav homelite for firewood if not the 925.. Not that my opinion is reserved :) I like my 540 too but still prefer my 925. Seems a lot lighter and just feels good to me. You are right about starting it hot although I can still always get it to start it just takes a knack. I usually don't cut when its hot out anyway. Thats the beauty about living in Wa. I just looked at mikes and it has the earlier powerheads at 14.5lbs and later ones at 17lbs 4oz.. What gives? Actually has the 923-955 as 14.5 hmmm but feels right..

John

Back