Homelite XL 925

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14 1/2 vs 17+ is definitely bogus. About the only real difference in the 925s was the change fro the 3 piece to single piece ignition. If anything, it probably reduced weight by an ounce or two. West coast versions had a full wrap bar and extra shield which may add a bit more, but that pertains to any age group of the saws. Some had a hand guard added, but this is insignificant to the weight difference as well.

Dan

Hey Mark what is your fav homelite for firewood if not the 925.. Not that my opinion is reserved :) I like my 540 too but still prefer my 925. Seems a lot lighter and just feels good to me. You are right about starting it hot although I can still always get it to start it just takes a knack. I usually don't cut when its hot out anyway. Thats the beauty about living in Wa. I just looked at mikes and it has the earlier powerheads at 14.5lbs and later ones at 17lbs 4oz.. What gives? Actually has the 923-955 as 14.5 hmmm but feels right..

John

Well John, I hate to really make those kind of choices and statements! :)

I'm not sure I even see a 82CC 15lb saw as a firewood saw. See I guess it gets to be too much opinion on the definition.

The SXL-925 just has a few design quirks and is too tempermental to me to be considered. When I shut it off for a few minutes, I expect it to be easy to start back up. Like I said I don't want anyone thinking I'm being unfair to the 925, they are good ones, just in there own way.

I always thought of a good SXL auto as one of the best Homelite firewood saws. Tough, dependable, get -er -done saws. I think the 410 is a good one also and quite friendly. I never ran a 540 but I would like to as I see the 410 style in it.

Heck to be honest, I think I would put the Super E-Z up for one of Homelites best firewood saws.

925's are great saws,(I have a few). They have tons of tourque and sound mean when they are worked. I had a pro-mac 700 then picked up a 925. The pro mac hardly got used after I got the 925. The homelite had more power, better anti vibe and the weight felt the same when i was running it.

925's are great saws,(I have a few). They have tons of tourque and sound mean when they are worked. I had a pro-mac 700 then picked up a 925. The pro mac hardly got used after I got the 925. The homelite had more power, better anti vibe and the weight felt the same when i was running it.

That don't surprise me in the least except the anti vibe part.

I had some documation in my hands awhile ago in the form of a Homelite service bullitin and it explained how the later 925's were actaully 77cc instead of the earlier 82cc.

If I remember right it was explaing how the 77cc piston and cyl were being supplied as service replacment parts and how they were doing this to overcome overheating problems and such.

I had a whole bunch of manuals and such supplied by a helpfull member to me for copying and I screwed up and forgot to get the service bullitins scanned before I returned them to him. :censored:

It does explain to me now how come Acres site list the 925 as both 77 and 82cc's now though,.

I looked for that bulletin last night but I could not find it. I did find one about doing swaps to get a decomp.

Bill

OK, I've done my good deed for the day. This thread was started because a SXL-925 came up in the local CL for a great deal. I saw the saw and contacted the seller. I wasnt sure if the old lady would let me so close to xmas but it was worth a shot anyways cause I want one of these bad.

Well Bill here doesn't live far from me and saw the same saw and created this thread about it. The seller returned my emails and there were a few other people interested in it but never returned Bills. I did my good deed and snagged it while I had the chance and gonna pass it along to Bill as much as i wanna keep it.

Well here it is, Took a few pics for ya and a short video of how it runs before my battery's ran out cause it is 21 degrees here. that bar and chain is brand new...never seen wood and she also has a new starter rope. Saw is a 9 outta 10 condition and Bill got a good deal. I think the black on the airfilter cover and clutch cover was touched up at one time but still looks good. The only thing i see wrong with the saw is that its missing the chrome bezel around the recoil housing.

Just remember when your tired of the big heavy homelite make sure I get 1st dibs buying her back.

DSC04103.jpg

DSC04104.jpg

DSC04105.jpg

DSC04106.jpg

DSC04107.jpg

DSC04108.jpg

DSC04109.jpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7vzH_6ANWHY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7vzH_6ANWHY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

One of the best firewood saws Homelite ever made. I have two.

Through the 1970s and up until about 1981 it was the only saw we ran for firewood cutting. We bought them by the pair so as to have one running at all times. :laugh:

Fantastic saw for what I did which was blocking firewood in deep powder snow. They were the only saw, and I tried them all that could take all that water getting sprayed into the workings and still keep going. Johnsereds lasted about 3-4 cuts and would die. My 051 Stihl did ok but by the early 1980s I had switched to using a skidding winch so snow was not that much of an issue.

It is spot on that Homelite really mixed and mashed the parts around. My brother says he recently stumbled across our old pile of those saws and he thinks there are 5-6 of them, some taken apart in his barn. So next summer when I am up there do I grab them, sell the parts and retire to the bahamas? :laugh:

I've run a S-XL 925 and XL-903 for quite some time. I really like it even as much as the 540 I have. The 540 is a powerful saws but the way the plastic tank is you feel like you have to be very careful..has a soft or delicate feel. The 925..just use and abuse it. It just keeps cutting and hasn't failed me for any reason in 8 years.

picture.php

picture.php

OK, I've done my good deed for the day. This thread was started because a SXL-925 came up in the local CL for a great deal. I saw the saw and contacted the seller. I wasnt sure if the old lady would let me so close to xmas but it was worth a shot anyways cause I want one of these bad.

Well Bill here doesn't live far from me and saw the same saw and created this thread about it. The seller returned my emails and there were a few other people interested in it but never returned Bills. I did my good deed and snagged it while I had the chance and gonna pass it along to Bill as much as i wanna keep it.

Well here it is, Took a few pics for ya and a short video of how it runs before my battery's ran out cause it is 21 degrees here. that bar and chain is brand new...never seen wood and she also has a new starter rope. Saw is a 9 outta 10 condition and Bill got a good deal. I think the black on the airfilter cover and clutch cover was touched up at one time but still looks good. The only thing i see wrong with the saw is that its missing the chrome bezel around the recoil housing.

Just remember when your tired of the big heavy homelite make sure I get 1st dibs buying her back.

DSC04103.jpg

DSC04104.jpg

DSC04105.jpg

DSC04106.jpg

DSC04107.jpg

DSC04108.jpg

DSC04109.jpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7vzH_6ANWHY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7vzH_6ANWHY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You are the man thank you very much!
:rock:

Biggest question I've always had about 925s is "why no decomp??????" Same for the 955.... They stuck it on the 944, but the 955 was without. Puts alot of stress on the starter parts, as well as your arms.

Dan
I have a Canadian XL923 and it does have a decomp and a felling dawg. Nice saw, came with a 24" bar and a new Stihl chain for $35.00. Comp is 180psi.

Over at another site, the question was answered, and it sorta makes sense. Appearantly, the idea was that with the electronic ignition which had retard on timing at cranking speed, didn't need the decomp to help start. So, the models with an electonic ignition, like a 925 or 955 didn't "need" decomp, but breaker point models with no retard (like a 944) did. Can't say conclusively, but this was offered up, siting some Homelite literature, so I've accepted it as the explanation.

Dan

Back