homelite xl oiler: howzit work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Reaction score
i have a little xl top handle here with an oiler issue.

it pumps a lot of oil but the oil doesn't come out of the oiler hole at the bar. it is coming out inside the saw body somewhere. all of the lines have been replaced one by one and it still does it.

the tank is not leaking.
there are 3 lines related to the oiler that i can see. one going in to the oil tank with the duckbill from the clamshell, one coming out and going back to the top of the clamshell, and one a bit lower on the clam that goes out to the bar mount area.

how does this system work and where can it leak other than the lines?

awesome guys!

what does #16 in the diagram do?

i am getting lots of air pulse to pressurize the tank and i know the pulse is entering through tthe line with the duckbill...
but
the oil from the tank isn't flowing through the spot where it enters the clamshell above #16 and exits just below. there is a blockage in the passage or #16 is supposed to slide back and forth(?) but has become stuck. i can hardly get any air to pass through that passage, let alone oil.

as a result of the blockage, i think i am bleeding oil at every line/fitting when the tank pressurizes.

Had similar problem. Turned out the check ball (17) was stuck. Took the whole assembly apart and cleaned it. Checked op of 16 using 15. It can be done without taking the clutch off. Big end of 13 goes out. If it helps, but not the best pic:

attachment.php

Had similar problem. Turned out the check ball (17) was stuck. Took the whole assembly apart and cleaned it. Checked op of 16 using 15. It can be done without taking the clutch off. Big end of 13 goes out. If it helps, but not the best pic:

is #16 supposed to slide? it was all i could do to remove it from the saw body. i assume it is supposed to be a pressed fit?
it looks like when the rod on the back side of #15 goes all the way in it blocks the inlet hole and outlet on #16.
i don't get how this thing is supposed to work. if it were only a pressure line and a line to the bar it would work fine... they messed everything up with this third line.

Check out youtube.com and type in Homelite Super 2 oiler. The guy explains all you need to know about this.

unfortunately the youtube guy has a two line set-up. i have three lines. he's missing the upper fitting toward the flywheel side.

edit:
the tank is leaking... but it holds enough pressure to hisss when you remove the cap. doh!

Last edited:
Back