Homelite XL2 find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macstrange

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found an xl2 at a second hand shop In original case. Looks like it’s in excellent condition. It’s tagged at $75. Seems like a good deal. Shop owner said he had it running. I’m going back tomorrow to look at it a little closer and see if I can get it running. What do y’all think?

Found an xl2 at a second hand shop In original case. Looks like it’s in excellent condition. It’s tagged at $75. Seems like a good deal. Shop owner said he had it running. I’m going back tomorrow to look at it a little closer and see if I can get it running. What do y’all think?
Blanking on what an XL 2 is. Is that a top handled saw with the double trigger?

Fun little Homelite's, dual trigger top handle. If it's in excellent condition I would say it's a fair price.

What are you hoping to do with the saw? Economics-wise, $75 isn't going to change your life one way or another, so if you want it, why not? For a good / excellent condition saw in original case sounds like a fair price. If you are looking at it as a saw that you would depend on running when you need it, my answer might be different. I have owned several Homelite XL2 & Super 2 saws over the years. The first saw I ever owned was a Super 2 that I bought used. I think it was made around 1980, and I bought it in the mid to late 1990s. It was the only saw I owned for several years. The Super 2 is on a similar chassis to the XL2 but has a few cc larger engine.
For a saw you depend on that would be used only on rare occasion, I might look for a different saw. The ones I owned were frustrating to use at times because it seemed something was not functioning properly quite often, so I spent a lot of time tinkering with it to get it all functioning before I could use it. For the last several years, I have owned an Echo CS-370, now a CS-400 (both bought used) that I keep as my "occasional use" saw, and they have indeed been 100% reliable. Basically, whenever needed, just fuel it up, check bar oil and go use it. That level of reliability was never there for me with the 20ish year old Homelite Super2 I was trying to use.

Here is a similar thread that has some Super 2 opinions...
Super 2 worth fixing post

Honestly those saws even in excellent condition aren't worth more than $20. Like posted above, they aren't at all reliable. I can remember my dad getting so mad at one of those that he through it over a hill at our camp. Personally I would run from that saw at any price.

I'm posting this for Vibes since he said he was "blanking" on it. Here's a Pic of one that I restored two years ago:
HomeLite XL2.JPG
Almost all metal, at one time hey were a popular top-handle saw. It took me a few parts and three hours to restore it. The owner bought it at an estate auction for $40, let me restore it, and then sold it for $130.

Latest posts

Back